pH drifts up at target TA

hex52

Sep 11, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
My pool is about a year old and had high TA a few months ago so I tried to bring it down, which I did successfully. At this point the only chemicals I've only used was trichlor, liquid chlorine, and muriatic acid.

Then my TA was dropping (60) below my target range (70-90) because I was adding MA to keep pH within range, so I began using baking soda to bring it to 80 TA.

But I noticed at 60 TA, pH was more stable and at 80 TA, pH drifted up.

Is low alkalinity bad?
Is it secondary to controlling pH?
Can I keep TA lower than the recommendation since 60 TA is stable for my pH?

Check out my PoolMath logs for additional information

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
But I noticed at 60 TA, pH was more stable
I'm in the same situation. I find the pH stabilized around 7.6-7.8 longer which also helps to off-set the slightly lower TA. A TA of 60 should be fine. I can't see your logs, but I suspect your CH level is a bit elevated, so that helps as well. I wouldn't raise the TA unless it drops below 60. Then I would only add enough baking soda to get it back to the 60-70 range to help reduce the pH yo-yo game.

Reactions: hex52

hex52

Sep 11, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
My CH is right on the upper end of the recommended range. I plan to wait until September to give some time for CYA to climb then do a partial drain to bring it and CH down.

I thought I read somewhere about new pools causing pH to climb. Perhaps this factor is causing mine to climb even with TA 80?

Log and summary below:
PoolMath Logs

==========================================
hex pool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 12500 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 4.5 (2 hours ago)
CC: 0.0 (2 hours ago)
pH: 8.2 (2 hours ago)
TA: 80 (2 hours ago)
CH: 350 (7 days ago)
CYA: 45 (7 days ago)
TEMPERATURE: 86° (2 hours ago)
CSI: 0.64 (2 hours ago)
==========================================

tim5055

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
CH 60 is fine. My pool stabilized with TA 50.

Below 40 you need to watch the TA like a hawk. Bel;ow 40 is a bad place to be as this is getting close to letting your pH crash....

Reactions: hex52