Ph controller

teapot said:
A time clock, not a PH probe?

I can understand using a time clock for chlorine additions but not for PH adjustment.
It all depends on other factors. It is not all that difficult to get the chemistry stable enough that the PH goes up at a fairly uniform rate for weeks at a time. A simple time clock driven acid feeder can take care of that well enough. If you want to go months you will need a sensor.

I agree with duraleigh, going months at a time is not at all realistic, regardless of how much you spend on automation. Too many things can go wrong in that amount of time. Going a couple of weeks is much more plausible.

It is important to understand that the automation systems have their own unique problems, which require occasional attention, not to mention what might fall into the pool during a major storm.

JasonLion said:
teapot said:
A time clock, not a PH probe?

I can understand using a time clock for chlorine additions but not for PH adjustment.
It all depends on other factors. It is not all that difficult to get the chemistry stable enough that the PH goes up at a fairly uniform rate for weeks at a time. A simple time clock driven acid feeder can take care of that well enough. If you want to go months you will need a sensor.
Purely from a safety point, unless OP is on site the whole time then forget the time clock idea. If anything went wrong with chlorine delivery, then acid would be continually dosed lowering the PH to the point of damaging walls or liner, a cost saving too far.

There cannot be that much difference between PH probe and timer models surely, (£42 in Sterling, 67$ in my catalogue).

I just got a super deal on a Sta-Rite SR-4000 and am eager to set it up. From what I can tell from the Internet, it injects doses into the water based on a timer, just like the Poolsmith system does with CO2. Is there a way to predict how much acid needs to be dispensed into my 20K gallon pool with SWCG year round? Won't this change, depending on environmental conditions? Can I get by with this sytem or do I need a controller with a probe to monitor it? Thanks.

Jeff M said:
I just got a super deal on a Sta-Rite SR-4000 and am eager to set it up. From what I can tell from the Internet, it injects doses into the water based on a timer, just like the Poolsmith system does with CO2. Is there a way to predict how much acid needs to be dispensed into my 20K gallon pool with SWCG year round? Won't this change, depending on environmental conditions? Can I get by with this sytem or do I need a controller with a probe to monitor it? Thanks.

Be careful with that unit. I haven't used it in a number of years but IIRC it has an issue with no battery backup for the settings and if power is lost it starts back up by having both pumps on at full blast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.