Manteca, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Is this normal? My neighbor has a new pool that was just filled a month ago. Here in California it is 75 degrees today. His Chlorine levels were very high like over 6, and his PH was over 8.2. He asked me if this was normal and I told him year round I tried to keep my pool at or below 7.8 . When he called his pool guy he said he keeps pools at 8.2 or higher in the winter......ummm is this normal? and why?

One, it is easier and cheaper for the pool guy.
Two, he gets away with it as the water is colder which depresses CSI. Most of the time. Scale will be the likely result.
Have your neighbor come to this site, get a test kit, and ditch the pool guy. Especially on the FC, as that is dependent on CYA -- as Woody said above.

Ya I hear ya that's what I told him. I have given him this site but not sure why he hasn't got on yet. We are having our pool built right now as some of you know. I was nervouse to take care of my own pool again even though I took care of the last one for 10 years. Maybe because this one is brand new and last one wasn't. But after hearing about what his pool guy was doing, no way lol.
I will dig more but I woukd imagine there is a startup section on what to throw in your new pool for startup?? Lol. Thanks for the help!

Who is the manufacturer of the quartz finish you are getting?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.