PH and TA balancing

umbaya

Jul 13, 2023
Eagan, MN
I've had an in-ground 18'x36' pool for many years now but still yet to master how to balance it poperly quickly. Always seems to have both high TA. Easy to adjust lower but it also lowers PH. So trying to find some good option for pool aeration. Welcoming all ideas.

I've had an in-ground 18'x36' pool for many years now but still yet to master how to balance it poperly quickly. Always seems to have both high TA. Easy to adjust lower but it also lowers PH. So trying to find some good option for pool aeration. Welcoming all ideas.
Just manage the PH and let the TA do whatever it wants. Just make sure it doesn’t go below 50

Just manage the PH and let the TA do whatever it wants. Just make sure it doesn’t go below 50
Thanks. I've had a cloudy water for about two weeks now and thought it wasn't enough chlorine. But then I realized my TA was high and I've read in a few threads that hight TA can create cloudy water. So I lowered it to below 100 and now working on increasing PH. I found a good thread on this site on how to make a good aerator for my pool. Will see if it will work as described

TA has little effect on water clarity.
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?

Cloudy water is 99% of the time algae.

Reactions: Bperry
Thanks. I've had a cloudy water for about two weeks now and thought it wasn't enough chlorine. But then I realized my TA was high and I've read in a few threads that hight TA can create cloudy water. So I lowered it to below 100 and now working on increasing PH. I found a good thread on this site on how to make a good aerator for my pool. Will see if it will work as described
Not likely related to TA. Be careful doing that and don’t allow the pH to ever get below 7.0. The pH staying in range is way more important than TA.

TA has little effect on water clarity.
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?

Cloudy water is 99% of the time algae.
Testing water Using AquaCheck 7 test straps.

I shocked the pool last week and the pool still looked cloudy after that. Chlorine went over 10ppm.

Attachments

• 20230719_191010.jpg
    20230719_191010.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230719_191001.jpg
    20230719_191001.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

Reactions: Bperry
Thank you. Ordering my test kit now and will add liquid Chlorine to rise it by 5ppm. Some days I have it covered with a solar cover when not in use, so FC doesn't dissappear quickly. Current level of FC is around 7ppm. Don't want to overdo it as kids are using the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support