PH and alkalinity

I tested it at Leslie’s, these are the levels:
FC - 6.9
CC or TC - 7.1
pH - 7.7
TA - 60
CH - 229
CYA - 104
Looking at the recommended levels link. My CYA seems to be high. Not sure if at this point I should consider draining some water?

If those results are correct, your CYA is high.

We do not provide guidance based on pool store tests. You need your own proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hi fellow Texan, @Yelimex
Other than your CYA your test results look good however if your CYA is really above 100 then your FC should be at 10 or higher based on the FC/CYA Levels. This chart becomes a key reference if you wish to follow the TFP methodology.

The forum has found that pool store test results are unreliable and inconsistent because they just test one after another and you do not know what is contaminated or not. Also, most of the staff are new - especially in the summer when they are busy - so not very well trained. If you purchase your own test kit as recommended and commit to following the TFP process, you will have a very clear, algae free pool with minimal cost.

I only use chlorine and muriatic acid. I bet that Leslie's tried to sell you Alkalinity Up and maybe even something to lower your Chlorine because they try to fit in the 1-4ppm range regardless of your CYA value. That is not the TFP way.

The information on this forum is tried and tested with the goal to achieve great pools at minimal costs to maintain. Leslie's goal is to sell you product based on that "free" water test.

How are you chlorinating your pool? Are you using 3" pucks? If you are, they will continue to lower (or at best hold level) your TA and pH because there is acid (drives down TA and pH) in those pucks in additional to CYA and chlorine.

Please Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is with items such as how many gallons (I note you have listed 16,000 gals), type of pump, filter, heater, how you chlorinate your pool, type of cleaner and what test kit you use.
All of this helps the members to find a solution to any issue that may arise.
Good Luck.

I tested it at Leslie’s, these are the levels:
FC - 6.9
CC or TC - 7.1
pH - 7.7
TA - 60
CH - 229
CYA - 104
Looking at the recommended levels link. My CYA seems to be high. Not sure if at this point I should consider draining some water?
What @HermanTX said... and.. yeah your CYA is high, but if you get much in the way of winter rains you can use that to dilute your CYA. If you chlorinated with pucks, then switch over to liquid CL since it doesn't have CYA in it like the Pucks do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.