Persistent algae and cloudiness

Captron51

Sep 2, 2020
Murrieta, ca
Folks, I'm new to forum but need some help and better understanding of abg chemistry. I have owned a bestway 13x9 oval for a couple years and continue to battle algae and cloudy water. I have also owned homes with in ground plaster pools before and never quite experienced the algae problem in those pools. So...using various pool test kits and strips, I monitor the chlorine and ph regularly. I use a chlorine floater with the chloric tablets as well as casting chloric shock granules now and then, and in an effort to clear water. When pool is freshly filled, it will remain clear for up to two weeks, but gradually begin to cloud, and with filter running, a material that looks like sand coagulates on the bottom. This stuff disperses into water if brushed and the water clouds. Running the filter 24/7 does not clear the water. I have tried green algae treatment chemical, chloric water clarifier, heavy chlorination....nothing clears the water except draining it and refilling. When I drain it, a residue of algae is mopped up off the liner bottom. It smells like the algae on the bottom of a boat left in the water. I know that smell. So......what is going on??? Which chlorination product and method works best...and why doesn't shock treatment or continuous filtration have a positive effect?

Welcome to TFP! You are in the right place. :lovetfp:

For starters you need to order your own proper test kit. I use the TF100 with speed stir but the Taylor K-2006C kit is good too. Link to TF100 in my signature.

In the mean time:
Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine (bleach) to your pool daily while waiting on your kit. link in signature. (nothing else!)
Read ABC's of pool water chemistry, link in signature.
Add your pool information to your signature. Helps the experts help you and so you don't have to type it again each time you have a question.
Read how to slam a pool. Which you will be doing once you receive your test kit. Link in signature.

Several possible reasons for the continuous fight with algae.
CYA too high for current FC levels. Your pucks add CYA along with the chlorine.
FC levels fall below suggested range for your CYA level. See chlorine/cya chart. link in signature.
Hidden algae that isn't seen and doesn't get killed. light niches, drains, ladders etc.
Need to brush the walls and floors when killing algae to expose it to the chlorine.

Good luck on your mission! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.