Permits in, Final decisions on what to build

Aug 25, 2016
Westchester, NY
Well after a lengthy process of variances and meetings my permits are finally approved for my inground pool. Background- We are in northern Westchester county, NY. I have been researching and looking around but just can nail down a design/needs. My property is rocky and odd shaped so the only level area for the pool is about 125' from the house with a lake view on one side and steep rocky hill that is about 40' near vertical boulders. I am going with Pentair equipment:

Easy Touch Control System
Screenlogic 2 Interface
Intellichlor IC60 SWCG
IntelliPH
Intelliflo 2 VST pump model 011055
Clean & Clear Plus Filter
Ultra temp 140 heat pump
Intellivalve

Good/bad?? Anything I'm missing?

I'm leaning towards a 18x36 rectangular pool with auto cover under coping for convince and safety reasons although a free form up against the boulder might look nicer. Also it seems people either lover or hate the auto pool covers. Builder is quoting me 15K for coverstar plus another 4500 for winter cover and pump. Thoughts from people that have auto cover? Is there a lot of swim area lost in free form??

Also we are unsure about Baja shelf and or spa. Being in the northeast and the pool so far from house the spa would only get used when the pool was open. Also unsure if family will use the Baja shelf or should I get more pool area??

Any help anyone on the board can give me would be great! I have time now since this summer is shot and I can get a jump on next year.

Thanks!!

Autocover price is probably not high for your area. It's a little bit more than mine was for a similar size but it was 4 years ago and your area is more expensive. I don't see too many people with new covers who hate the autocovers here. Some people unreasonably (or maybe unrealistically) expect there not to be any issues or maintenance items to take care of. They are not set and forget 100%. I always encourage rectangle for an autocover. They certainly do them over freeform, no denying that. But there is extra contact area which has several side effects, cover wearing extra (probably not my biggest concern unless it's a spa corner sticking out) and extra drag on the motor/ropes, etc. These things are expensive. Do you really want to make the product work harder than it needs to (and we've had a pulley go bad which just seems like extra pressure wouldn't help)? For your area, neither of the cover prices (installed) are outrageous. I like my Merlin Smartmesh cover but Loop-Loc is the same.

No area is lost in freeform if you get the same surface area. But if you are talking an 18 x 36 rectangle vs. an 18 x 36 largest dimension freeform, then yes, that's a lot smaller pool. Again I'm partial to rectangle, but especially for autocover applications.

Our pool is also not close to our house. I really like that aspect, especially up north where the pool will be closed for 6 months of the year - and you'd be looking at a winter cover all that time up close and personal. It makes it be a real getaway. I go down to the pool and stay for hours. I'd be more tempted to pop inside to do something if it were close.

Please post up a few pics of your backyard setting so we can get a feel for the area. Often that helps folks give commentary they wouldn't give without seeing the site.

pH automation is not highly revered here. It works ok but must be calibrated often. It's not a big deal at all to maintain pH after the first year on a concrete pool.

I don't have a shelf, but I never hear folks complain that they are wasted space. Yes they do take up swim space if the total area is limited to a certain size, but folks really seem to enjoy them - as do small kids.

Highly recommend a Dolphin robot cleaner versus any suction or pressure side cleaner. And also recommend an A&A Channel Drain for your main drain (and with a Pebble top for applying your plaster to make it blend in). This will ensure you have no robot issues getting stuck on the main drains that are humped up.

Great time to get started for a late winter/early spring build. You can be finished by Memorial Day that way.

pm,

You did not say which EasyTouch.. The come in ET4 and ET8 models.. I bought the ET4 which has only three relays when using a SWCG. I keep finding other things that I want to control with it and wish I had gone with the ET8 which has 7 unused relays...

You did not say which filter, but I would recommend the 420 or 520 so that you don't have to clean them but once a year in your location.

Is there a specific reason you want to use the IntelliValves??

I can't see a heat pump working well in NY, but that is really something I know nothing about..

Plus 1 on going with ScreenLogic and IntelliFlo pump and Plus one on dumping the Intelliph.

Make sure they install the pump with pump unions.. The pump will not come with them... and... Make sure they install a surge protector in the load center of the EasyTouch to protect everything.

Thanks for posting and remember we want pics... :p

Jim R.

Here is what the pool company said they would do for the build of 18x36 rectangular:

We use 2'' Schedule 40 PVC Rigid pipe from equipment to skimmers, main drains, & first return and 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC Rigid pipe for the 2nd & 3rd returns as well as the Pool Cleaner line. Lastly, we use flex pipe only from the main drains in the shell of the pool.
-2 Skimmers included
-3 Returns included
-Your Contract includes one 500 Watt Light. The LED Light Upgrade to a Hayward LED Pool Light would be $485. One LED would be sufficient for this size/shape pool but we can add a 2nd LED Pool light or a smaller LED Light on the sunshelf which is specifically designed to accent a sunshelf/steps/water feature/etc. This would be a $800-$900 upgrade depending on which light you choose. If you want a 2nd light I would recommend the LED light on the sunshelf
-1 set of Dual Main Drains (which are Virginia Graeme Baker Act (VGB) Safety Compliant)
-The Autofill Unit & plumbing back to the water source at your home would be about $1000 (Don't quote me because I would need to get an accurate measurement from water source to pool) but this does not include the actual hook up to the watersource in your home. Per Code a master plumber would need to make the connection, which we do not have in house, so I would need to get a bid from our recommended master plumber.
-Let me get the price on the OverFlow Line tomorrow. I do not recall this price.
- We can do a 12'' deep sunshelf (tanning ledge) in the shallow end of the pool next to the steps. The steps extend 4'6'' into the pool, so we can put a sunshelf right next to them which would be about 63 square feet. This is a good size and won't eat up a lot of your swimming space. It would be an upgrade of $1,000.
- To give a round number, two bubblers (non-lighted) in the sunshelf would cost approx. $2,500, which would also include an additional pump and plumbing. This would also include a 2nd set of main drains because we are now adding an additional pump to the pool.

I'm a complete newbie to pools so I just want to make sure I get the right equipment and also get everything I need now.
Again any help is greatly appreciated!

Pat

Attachments

• IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 77
Jim,

Pool builder was pushing Jandy and I wanted either Pentair or Hayward so I basically had to build the system myself to figure out what I needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Since it will only let me upload two photos, let me describe the area. The first photo is looking north and is the left side of the pool area. Straight to the north is a 6-8' drop off to a lower level where I'm planning on putting a fire pit and seating. The second photo looks east and to the right of the photo is where the hill goes straight up. From that piece of ledge sticking out back along the hill is about 45'.

Pat,

You can post more pics by joining our group as a "supporter" or by simply hosting them on a picture hosting site and inserting a link into your post here.

I think your site will be awesome once it is all done. A great view... I've said this many times before... I have a great view also... of the side of my neighbor's house... :p

I have pool envy for people like you that have such beautiful locations..

Did you read my comments in post # 3? Any answer you wish to provide?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I dont remember which model easytouch or filter I asked for but I will switch to your recommendations. Also looking to dump th PH, anywhere I can save money is a plus! I forget why I picked the intellivalve right now. I assume I dont need it? I'm going with the heat pump because my only other choice would be a propane tank and everyone I know that had one up here never uses it since it burns through propane so fast. I figure with the heat pump and auto cover I should be able to get decent temps. Only looking for early and late season when temps at night get cold, not looking to heat it in November or anything like that.

Pat,

I agree, I missed the auto cover in your initial post..

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I suggest you or your pool builder buy... I like this site but I'm just showing the package deal that everyone has...

https://www.sunplay.com/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-521150

This gets you the ET8, plus built in SWCG power supply and IC60 cell, plus two Jandy style valve actuators...

Good luck with your project..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.