Permasalt system - I read about it and regret my purchase- how can I convert?

KellyFriesenhahn

Aug 25, 2019
San Antonio, Texas
Hello.

I am new to pools, we didn’t do any research when we bought our pool and now that I am reading about permasalt systems I regret what we did.

I’ve read a lot of other forums and I want to switch to chlorine usage, but I read copper and chlorine have a bad reaction.

Many other people have made the same mistake as I have and I want to ask the same question others have but it doesn’t seem it gets directly answered.

I need to know, can I still start using chlorine (and do away with those bi weekly expensive reactivate and kalairate chemicals they try to sell us) with this permasalt thing? Without having to buy a brand new pool system?

HELP!! And please don’t use acronyms I have no idea what they are!

Also, I have a thick layer of algae in my pool right now and I’m freaking out.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
You can just use liquid chlorine and stop using the Permasalt stuff. Remove the mineral packs, etc.
As you have algae, you need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 Test Kit ™

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Let us know your pool volume, type, etc by filling out your signature. We can help you with the amounts of chemicals to use if you provide that data. You will use PoolMath.

Since you have copper in the water, you're at high risk for copper staining. Not much we can do about that.

It's highly likely that you will get some sort of copper stains. They might be light turquoise or they might be horrible black stains. No way to predict.

Avoid calcium hypochlorite.

You can drain and refill if you want and can do it safely.

What type of pool do you have?

What is the ground water situation.

If you have a liner, you can't drain without replacing the liner.

If you have a concrete or fiberglass pool, it can pop out of the ground if the ground water is high.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.