Perlite in Sand Filter (Replacement for DE to sand filter)

Reubzy

Dec 27, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron eQuilibrium EQ25
Does anyone have any experience with adding Perlite into their sand filter instead of DE?

I’ve come across a bag and am interested in using it in my sand filter. The product is referred to further in this thread:

What are you trying to accomplish ? Sand is a million years old and will last another million when it isn't gunked up with pool store mystery potions.

Plenty of the pools here have sand filters proving that when done right, they're plenty good enough, even as the least effective filter of the 3. How Clear is TFP Clear?

A sand filter even won our monthly pic contest for water clarity, going up against some HEAVY hitters.

(Credit to @SSharp )

PXL_20220603_190319177_2.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with adding Perlite into their sand filter instead of DE?

I’ve come across a bag and am interested in using it in my sand filter. The product is referred to further in this thread:

Usually, adding Perlite/D.E./cellulose fiber to a sand filter is done because someone allowed their pool to "go green" and adding a layer of the product to the sand bed helps clear the water faster. I won't hurt anything to add it, other that it may leave a bit of a mess when you backwash, but it should not be necessary. That being said, there are many sand-filter owners who love to do it because it makes them more comfortable with their filter.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.