Pentar Salt Cell Lights not working but flash when flipping breaker.

Aug 8, 2016
San Antonio
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Got a weird situation that just occurred. My Pentar Salt cell was showing red, low salt, but last week I had the water tested at the pool service I use and it did test a little low but not bad. Recommended 80 pounds of salt be added because we have had a lot of rain. The cell still showed red so I decided it might need to be cleaned. Pulled it out and sure enough it had a lot of mineral build up. Did the standard clean about 3 times to get it all out. Hooked everything back up and no lights. The circuit button inside the easy touch is ok. Double checked the cord connection to the easy touch panel. Seemed to be ok but unhooked it and remconnected to make sure it was a good connection. Nothing so I tripped the main breakers again inside the easy touch and noticed the lights on the cell would flicker on but go right back off. The status light inside the panel is green so thinking I have a loose connection somewhere. Didn’t want to start removing the front plate to the easy touch until I talked to you guys. Is it possible something is loose between the 4 prong connection on the box and something inside?

I can tell you the first thing to try. Turn off all the breakers, then unplug the SWG from the ET. See if you can clean either set of contacts, and/or plug and unplug it a bunch of times (to scuff up the connectors and maybe dislodge any corrosion). Plug it back in, seating in firmly. Then breakers back on and see what happens.

By the way, acid washing SWG plates reduces their life by some amount. Be prudent with how you spend that lifespan. You don't want those plates in acid any longer than absolutely necessary...

Thanks Dirk. Will give that a shot first thing tomorrow. Starting to get a little dark here now.

Fully understand what you mean by being easy with the acid wash. I had to replace the cell about a year and a half ago. They are not Cheap!

Oh, and welcome to TFP!!

I was a new pool owner once, too. Bought a house with one, just like you. I went through a lot of trouble managing it until I found TFP and started taking care of it myself. Better water. And way cheaper! Very easy to do, once I got through Pool School.

If you haven't already, stick around, see what TPF is about. You'll be glad you did.

PS. Pool stores are notoriously bad at producing accurate test results. SWGs are even worse. Get your self a proper salt test kit, along with a proper pool test kit if you don't have one yet, and we can help you with both and get you on your way to better pool care...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.