Pentair whisper flow motor repair or replace

Dec 8, 2017
keller, texas
I’ve been advised that one of my Pentair motors needs to be replaced. The technician has quoted $1000 to replace the motor (Pentair 1.5hp Whisper Flow) and pump. He states that based on the age of my equipment, 8 years, it is always advisable to replace both pump and motor at the same time. To my knowledge, there is no problem with the pump, and only the motor is bad. I was also advised that the motor would only have a 60 day warranty if I purchased and did the repair, whereas the warranty is one year if done by a professional. I am handy enough to do the motor replacement, based on what I’ve found online it seems pretty straightforward.
Questions;
1. Is it best practice, based on the age of my equipment, to replace both the pump and motor?
2. Is it worth paying hundreds to get the 1 year warranty if done by a pro vs the 60 day warranty if done by me? My thought is heck no, but I’m curious what those with much more experience think.
3. Is there a simple test to determine that the motor is in fact ‘dead’? My thought was perhaps it is a bad capacitor, which I mentioned to the tech and was told “no, it’s certainly the motor”.

Thank you in advance
Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason, you have valid concerns. I'm like you, if I can make it a DIY, I'll do it. To your questions:
1 - I'm not aware of any reason to replace the wet end if it's not compromised.
2 - 60 day? Might depend on who you get the new pump (or just a motor) from.
3 - Yes, there are some troubleshooting steps that may help.

So the reason for the new pump recommendation is "motor dead"? Not turning over at all? Any humming? If it runs, any loud squealing noises? Will it turn-over if you assist it from the rear at the shaft? Replacing a motor in its entirety, or for some .... replacing a capacitor, seals, and/or bearings is certainly doable. You have valid concerns, and sometimes techs are out to make a buck.

@JamesW or @mas985 , what are your thoughts?

Jason, you have valid concerns. I'm like you, if I can make it a DIY, I'll do it. To your questions:
1 - I'm not aware of any reason to replace the wet end if it's not compromised.
2 - 60 day? Might depend on who you get the new pump (or just a motor) from.
3 - Yes, there are some troubleshooting steps that may help.

So the reason for the new pump recommendation is "motor dead"? Not turning over at all? Any humming? If it runs, any loud squealing noises? Will it turn-over if you assist it from the rear at the shaft? Replacing a motor in its entirety, or for some .... replacing a capacitor, seals, and/or bearings is certainly doable. You have valid concerns, and sometimes techs are out to make a buck.

@JamesW or @mas985 , what are your thoughts?
Hey Pat, thank you for the quick reply. The motor does indeed appear ‘dead’, won’t turn over, no noise, nothing at all. The tech ran through the circuits on the control panel, everything was as it should be apparently. Re the 60 day warranty, I actually did see that spelled out on a motor for sale via an online pool supply store. It plainly said that if installed by a pro, 1 year, otherwise 60 days. Could be just the particular store I was looking at of course.

js,

I would not let some pool guy sell me a new pump/motor unless I could measure 240 volts right at the motor and the motor was not moving... I guess it just depends on how well you can trust him, but most motors don't just stop working.. they hum, they pop a breaker, they make squealing noise, etc... All kinds of things can make a pump not run besides the motor itself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Update. After making sure all of the wire connections were secure, I decided to start by checking the capacitor. As soon as I removed the cover, I could see that the capacitor was bad, bulging at the top and bottom and oil on the outside. I removed the capacitor from the other motor, put it on the "dead motor", and viola, it worked. A quick trip to the local pool supply store and $35 later, it appears that my dead motor has come back to life. I called the technician that quoted me $1000 to replace the motor and pump, explained all of this to him, and asked if he even looked at the capacitor. He said that he did not, and that all he did was observe that the circuit would throw each time this pump was turned on, did not hear any humming or noise from the motor, and based on his 15 years of experience concluded that the motor was most definitely dead. He did refund the $85 I paid for him to tell me my motor was dead, no doubt he is worried I'll post this on Nextdoor, which is where my wife found him.

The pool supply guy did say that often times when a capacitor looks like the one below, it could indicate the motor is 'going bad'. He couldn't offer any reasons why, just said that this could be a fix that works 2 weeks or 2 years, very reassuring. I don't recall ever changing this capacitor, making it 8 years old, seems like a good lifetime for a part like this.
Thanks again to this forum!

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 3.53.51 PM.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.