Pentair VS pump with Hayward automation

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
My Hayward single speed just went out. I'm pretty underwhelmed with the quality of Hayward's products, so I'm thinking of replacing it with a Pentair variable speed. I have a Hayward Prologic. Anyone have any luck mixing brands?

Is the pump side still good? You could replace the motor with a V Green VS motor and be good to go :)

You have a 2hp 1 speed pump and motor... I think you could upgrade to the new V-green VS motor, please contact Inyo and make sure and also ask if your motor is a square or round flange...

You should be able to use the 2.7 V green motor but you will need to upgrade your impeller to the 2.5 or 3 hp impeller for your pump, Inyo should be able to help you there also :)

I am not sure, I just bought the pump and the remote for mine... Inyo will be the most help and they are really great.. just give them a call with the model number of your pump and motor and tell them you would like the v green and ask about the adapter for Hayward and if you need a new impeller... :)

Drew,

In the old days, Pentair, Hayward and Jandy all allowed there pump to be used with the other's automation.. As time went on, firmware in both the pumps and the automation systems have changed and this means that there is no absolute that X pump will fully work with Y automation.

Unless I knew for sure, I would stick with a Hayward compatible pump.. I say this as a highly biased Pentair kind of guy.

I never recommend mixing and matching brands, just because when something does not work, it is always the "other guy's" problem..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Drew,

Jim's point is clear that one company's automation does not work with another company's pump. However, you need to ask yourself, "what are the main things I do w my pool that I do not want to give up?"

Either way, if you get the Pentair intelliflo VSP, you can pre-program all your pool runtimes from the keypad on the VSP [also, note the orientation of how the intelliflo would be installed relative to where you would want to input any info..you can opt get a keypad that rotates so your not typing upside down and from the wall].

Since you have a spa, you would need to go to your pad to manually set pump at higher speed...you might have to manually change valves from pool to spa, and turn on your heater and blower too If programmed into prologic, then all you might have to do is turn on the pump...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@tstex this is a good point. I plan to have the VS pump on all the time, so my current automation could control the valves and turn on the heater remotely. The one thing I wouldn't be able to do is crank up the speed for the jets and then back down when we're done, and we use the spa often enough for that to be a thing. Looks like Hayward it is.

Fair enough...go on various pump purchase sites and see what the users say about the Hayward you’re looking to buy...probably the tristar 2.7HP VSP....don’t get the EcoStar...make sure it does everything you want.

One other consideration since you mentioned getting rid of the prologic, is to solicit bids on a turnkey switching out prologic & Hayward pump and Going w intelliflo & pentair automation. Get just the right amt of aux’s slots to rum everything else you have. Heaters, blowers, SWG, valves et el are all generic when it comes to automation, so they run on any automation System. If you go w a dealer that installs all brands of equip, you
Might be able to get a resale for your prologic to someone that has no automation and wants it at a disct for their Hayward VSP. Not a given, but a possibility. Whatever you do, make sure installer is reputable and has good references

The 2.7 hp Tristar VS is basically the same pump as the EcoStar.

The motor and drive change periodically.

So, there will sometimes be a difference between the motor and drive from one pump to another or from one time to another.

The EcoStar has some bad press from motor and drive failures. They might even discontinue it or push it more for commercial pools even though it's basically the same pump as the TriStar VS.

The pro series 2.7 hp Tristar VS is probably the best choice because it has a 4 year warranty.

You might be eligible for rebates from Hayward and/or your utility.

@tstex this is a good point. I plan to have the VS pump on all the time, so my current automation could control the valves and turn on the heater remotely. The one thing I wouldn't be able to do is crank up the speed for the jets and then back down when we're done, and we use the spa often enough for that to be a thing. Looks like Hayward it is.
this is where the V green shines and works GREAT.. I have mine set up when the SWG turns on it changes the speed to 1400 rpm from 800 rpm.... On page 11 of the manual you will see the digital inputs, the RS485 connects to your hayward automation and the UI digital is what I am talking about.. anything that has the voltages below will turn on speed 1. 2. 3, or override and that speed you have programed into the pump... you could use the power from your valves when you turn on the spa, run a 2 wire to the UI mode 3 and have mode 3 at 3000 rpm... easy peasy :)

External Supply Range:
18-30V AC (24V AC+/- 20%)
9-30V DC (12/24V DC +/- 20%)

Cowboycasey is correct about how the V-green would be controlled by automation. You would need the 2.7 ECM27SQU if you go the route of replacing the motor. I'm double-checking with Century to see if the automation adapter is still required with the latest versions of the 2.7 V-Green. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Just an FYI, I have had the Tri-Star VS for 18 months and have been very happy with the performance.

Reactions: cowboycasey
@cowboycasey I'm trying to understand what you said. I'm a newbie to VS pumps - sorry for basic questions. Explain to me like I'm 5. 😂

If I understand you correctly, I would need to run a RS485 from the pump to the panel and also run wires from the valves to the pump - is that right? If I use the wires from the valves to crank up the RPMs, what does the RS485 to the panel do?

the RS485 is how your automation talks to the pump and I have no idea how that works as I do not have that..

The wire would be from one of your valves, the one that turns the spa on.. you would also run a wire to the pump, say on line 3 and common, and it would turn your pump from 100 rpm to 3000 rpm whenever you turn the spa on... You would set the speed on the pump that you want.. :)

I *think* (maybe) that the RS485 comm from the panel would be able to give me the valve status. So I *think* I might be able to just run that single wire. Haven't done this before, so I'm not positive.

I need the automation module too, yeah?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.