Pentair vs Jandy automation system?

What Allen said. Only thing I would add is yes, if it truly has digital inputs (looks like it does) your inputs for changing speed will be from low voltage signals such as the same signal that operates your spillover or starts your heater etc.

I'm not familiar with this pump and more importantly the motor. I'll look it up and see what I can find. I will add this, if it were me I would never use this automation system. It's just too limiting. If your PB can't do any better an option is no automation and get it added later either DIY or pay a competent installer. Rough estimate for installation of a Pentair Intellicenter is $2500 DIY or $4500 by dealer. But if you don't ever see the need to do more than your initial installation your correct decision is not likely the same as mine. Almost all decisions like this don't have a right or wrong, it's way more about your preferences. Just be sure you think it through so you don't change your mind later and have an unexpected big bill.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

What Allen said. Only thing I would add is yes, if it truly has digital inputs (looks like it does) your inputs for changing speed will be from low voltage signals such as the same signal that operates your spillover or starts your heater etc.

I'm not familiar with this pump and more importantly the motor. I'll look it up and see what I can find. I will add this, if it were me I would never use this automation system. It's just too limiting. If your PB can't do any better an option is no automation and get it added later either DIY or pay a competent installer. Rough estimate for installation of a Pentair Intellicenter is $2500 DIY or $4500 by dealer. But if you don't ever see the need to do more than your initial installation your correct decision is not likely the same as mine. Almost all decisions like this don't have a right or wrong, it's way more about your preferences. Just be sure you think it through so you don't change your mind later and have an unexpected big bill.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
Yes, very helpful, thank you and Allen for your replies. So it sounds like I am better off requesting a Pentair Intellicenter system. We just had the pump and the lights installed so I definitely don’t want an automation system that isn’t going to operate everything the way I want. We were quoted $2550 for the PSL4 Easy Touch so the Intellicenter will be significantly more but I joined this forum and asked the question because I knew I didn’t really understand what we were getting.

Another comment on the Jandy system, there are no separate low voltage digital outputs other than the outputs that drive the relays.

If you control your pump speeds via the pumps digital inputs you will use up a relay slot for each speed, so with the PS4 system you don’t have enough relays to control multiple pump speeds.

I have a Vgreen motor that I controlled with my Jandy PS8 system using four relay contacts to select different speeds.

I recently discovered that the Vgreen motor can be enabled to talk the Aqualink RS-485 protocol so I’m now using the RS-485 link.

If you control your pump speeds via the pumps digital inputs you will use up a relay slot for each speed, so with the PS4 system you don’t have enough relays to control multiple pump speeds.

I have a Vgreen motor that I controlled with my Jandy PS8 system using four relay contacts to select different speeds.

I recently discovered that the Vgreen motor can be enabled to talk the Aqualink RS-485 protocol so I’m now using the RS-485 link.
Without a separate relay you make the pump speed change by routing low voltage from the equipment. For example with a heater you can use the fireman's switch or even the gas control relay signal to one of the inputs to signal a speed change. That's how I did it. No extra relay required.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.