Pentair VF Pump Blowing Air

DBB

Jul 8, 2015
Frisco/TX
When I put my my newish (<2 years old) Pentair VF pump into high speed for vacuuming today, it began blowing a lot of air from around the motor somewhere. I couldn't pinpoint it, but it seems to be coming from somewhere under the control display box. I do not see any water leaks anywhere.

I'm not entirely sure that this isn't normal, but it is strong enough to be felt while standing next to the pad, so I think I would have noticed it in the past. I'm also getting bubbles into the basket that do not seem to go away at higher RPMs. This usually happens if I have a stuck weir gate and am sucking air at the skimmers, but everything appears normal at the skimmers.

Any thoughts on this, or is it time to call someone in?

The pump has a fan in the back of the motor to cool the motor. Is that where you are feeling air blowing from?

DBB,

The fan on the IntelliFlo sucks air in from the motor end and I suspect that is what you are feeling at high speed.

This has nothing to do with air under the pump lid..

There is no magically way air in the water could get out of the pump and could be felt blowing on your leg.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The pump has a fan in the back of the motor to cool the motor. Is that where you are feeling air blowing from?
It was hard to tell, but I'd say probably. As mentioned, it seemed like it was from below the control panel, and immediately in front of it, but all from the motor end of the pump. My concern is, during the hot Texas summer I never felt a breeze from the pump at all like I did today - it was like there was a fan sitting on the pad blowing. It was chilly today, so my worry is why is the pump needing to cool down when it didn't do this during the heat? I hope the bearings aren't overheating...

DBB,

The fan on the IntelliFlo sucks air in from the motor end and I suspect that is what you are feeling at high speed.

There is no magically way air in the water could get out of the pump and could be felt blowing on your leg.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well, of course not, but I thought maybe it was a symptom of something else going on - like if it was running more dry than wet, but I was getting flow. ajw22 stated above that there is a fan in the back of these pumps. My concern is why did it just seem to start blowing (or over-heating) today?

My concern is, during the hot Texas summer I never felt a breeze from the pump at all like I did today - it was like there was a fan sitting on the pad blowing. It was chilly today, so my worry is why is the pump needing to cool down when it didn't do this during the heat?
Would recommend purchasing a Pump Motor Cover for your Intelliflo to shield the motor from the sun as well as the electronics from rain.

My concern is why did it just seem to start blowing (or over-heating) today?
DBB,

The fan is attached to the shaft of the motor. If the motor is turning the fan is turning. The fan does not run based upon the air or pump temperature.

For grins, I went out and looked at my IntelliFlo running at 1200 RPM. If I felt around the motor area I could feel the air flow from the fan. I then ramped up the speed to 3200 and the air flow was much stronger, as you would think it would be.

I really doubt you have any kind of pump issue related to the air you feel from the fan.

Thanks,

Jim R.

They haven't made the VF in a while.

What is the date from the front sticker?

Below, you can see that the fan is pretty big.

View attachment 464517

Actually, it’s the VSF. Pentair sticker from the box looks like it was from 3/2021. I bought it in April of that year.

I guess that I just never noticed the wind this thing put out…. I’ll assume everything is okay, then.

Thanks to all who responded.

Reactions: Jimrahbe and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.