Pentair Variable speed pump to run non stop.

Hello,

i am a fairly new pool owner. We recently got a new Pentair Variable Speed pump. The pool company set it up to shut off everyday at 7;59AM and come back on at 8:00AM. When it does this the salt cell sees No Flow and shuts itself off. Everyday we need to go down and turn it back on.
‘My question is , can I get the pump to run non stop?
thank you in advance.
Muskokan

Re: Pentair Variable speed pump to run non stop.

Welcome to the forum!

You can run the pump continuously. Look at your operating manual. You do need the system set up as they have it.
Note: The pump will not run the scheduled speeds until the Start/Stop button is pressed (LED on) to place the pump in
Schedule mode.

More concerning - it does not sound like you have a timer on the SWCG. The flow switch on all SWCG's is secondary safety device, you must have a timer (if no automation) as a primary safety device. There is the potential of an exploding SWCG if it is powered on with no flow.

Take care.

We have a Zodiac LM2 Salt machine and recently a new Pentair Intelliflo Variable speed pump. The pump shuts down everyday for a minute. When it does this the salt machine shuts down and will not come back on when pump restarts. We have to turn it back on manually.
i am hoping that someone might have some idea of what we may do.
Thank you very much.
Muskokan
Ontario, Canada

M,

Assuming that you want the pump to run 24/7, why have you programmed it to shut off at all???

I just saw your other post about the pump not running 24/7... I am not sure why, as it appears to be programmed correctly, but you can also try to reprogram as follows...

Speed one... 1500 rpm (or whatever you want) schedule from 8 am until 8 pm.
Speed two... 1501 rpm (or whatever you want) schedule from 8 pm until 8 am.

I doubt there is anything you can do to make the SWCG restart automatically...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The pump manual says...

Programming Schedule for Constant Run
A speed cannot be programmed with the same start
and stop times.
To run a speed without stopping, set
the Start time one minute after the stop time.
Example: A single speed will run non stop if programmed
with a Start Time of 8:00 AM and a Stop time of 7:59 AM.

But, as Jim has pointed out above, when connected to an EasyTouch you can set it 8 am until 8 am and it will run 24/7.. It can't hurt to try it..

Jim R.

Oh my bad Jim. I didn’t realize that was for easytouch only. I thought it would be programmed the same if using just the pump or if the pump is hooked up to easytouch.

so that begs the question why would it be diff with automation vs no automation?

is the timer inside the pump? Or is one using an external timer?

M,

I reread your signature and it says you have the IntelliFlo pump and a "Pentair comptroller".

When you say Pentair comptroller are you talking about an automation system such as the EasyTouch or IntelliTouch??? If so, than as Jim points out, it should be as simple as setting it to run 8 am until 8 am, assuming you want to run 24/7...

Let us know if you are scheduling on the pump itself, or on an automation system of some kind...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Re:  Pentair Variable speed pump to run non stop.

I had the same problem, and presented it on this forum. When my intelliflow pump ended for the day, the SWCG went nuts. It still had the green ON button lit up, it still had the green GENERATING button lit up, the CHECK SALT button illuminated, and the CHECK CELL light illuminated. I had to go out there every morning and turn it off and then back on before it would start to work. I finally figured out the problem: The Aquarite box was wired into an "old fashioned" timer controller...you know, the yellow wheel on the left powered the pool filter on and off at whatever time you choose, and the start/stop times depended on where you screwed in the metal clip on the wheel. The yellow wheel on the right controlled the pool sweep. When this box was installed, I suspect that the intelliflow pump hadn't been invented yet. It had an old pool pump that was controlled by that yellow wheel. When the intelliflow upgrade pump was installed, whoever put it in left the "ON" clip in place, but REMOVED the "OFF" clip on the yellow wheel so that the intelliflow would always have power. Obviously, the Intelliflow doesn't need to be told when to start and stop by the wheel, start and stop run times are programed directly into the pump.

So...at the end of a busy pool pump day, around 7:00 PM at my house, the Intelliflow shuts off. BUT THE WHEEL DIDN'T HAVE THE STOP CLIP INSTALLED SO POWER FROM THE BOX TO THE SWCG WAS NEVER INTERRUPTED. So, the SWCG is trying to generate chlorine, but no water is flowing through the cell and it can't detect any salt, so it doesn't know what to do. So the CHECK SALT and the INSPECT CELL idiot lights illuminate while it is still trying to generate chlorine.

I put the OFF clip back on the wheel and set it to shut off at the same time the Intelliflow is scheduled to shut down, and when the wheel hits the OFF clip, power to the SWCG is interrupted and the SWCG powers down until the next morning, when the wheel reaches the "ON" clip and power to the SWCG is restored.

Problem solved. I'll bet a lot of folks out there have experienced this when they upgraded their pool pump to a programmable unit like the Intelliflow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you.
Yes it is an automation system. I am very new to this. Before the pool had a Jandy(?) pump that ran 24/7. When they put in the new pump, they suggested the automation system. It does heater, pump and my One Shot.
I will try to re-program the automated system.
‘Thank you so much
j
PS. I have had more answers here than when I call pool company.

M,

I reread your signature and it says you have the IntelliFlo pump and a "Pentair comptroller".

When you say Pentair comptroller are you talking about an automation system such as the EasyTouch or IntelliTouch??? If so, than as Jim points out, it should be as simple as setting it to run 8 am until 8 am, assuming you want to run 24/7...

Let us know if you are scheduling on the pump itself, or on an automation system of some kind...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.