Pentair variable speed pump not keeping time

So at least the problem only presents itself when you have a power failure. Unless the pump is still under warranty, I think your only practical choice is to just learn to live with it.

Pentair is issuing a work order to an authorized pool repair company to replace the drive since I am just in time for them to honor my 3 year warranty. By the way, Pentair has since reduced their warranty for this pump to 2 years. I suspect that is because they are failing too often within the 3 year warranty for their comfort. I asked ahead of time to see if I could keep the part because the more I read online, the more I realize this $700 drive has known issues. I asked the repair company if I could keep the the original part in case the replacement part turns out to have worse issues in the near future. At least I could reinstall my defective time clock issue drive. They said I i have to speak to pentair for authorization because they are supposed to ship it back.
I spoke with pentair and they acknowledged this drive has known isssues to the point that they want to back so they can do analysis on the failed drives. I asked what do I do when my warranty expires this month and the drive fails soon after, she said I'm sure we can do something. I asked for that in writing and that was where she said could not do that so basically it was a feeble attempt to get me off the phone. They are knowingly selling problematic variable speed pumps and not informing their customers. I said I want a written extended warranty or to allow me to keep the part. The rep said they will call me back to see how they will handle that. Buyer beware on this $1000 variable speed pump.

Actually the 011018 pump has a track record that makes it one of, if not the most reliable VS pump on the market. Pentair reduced the warranty because the 011018 isn't their top of the line pump any longer. They only give three years on the top line pumps. The 011018 is being discounted online now in the eight hundred dollar range. Drive failures are by far the biggest issue with all VS pumps. Most are caused by power surges. Anyone adding a VS pump should also put in whole house surge protectors. The pump is a computer connected to a high power motor, placed outdoors and powered through a long feed circuit. Gee, what could go wrong there?

Actually the 011018 pump has a track record that makes it one of, if not the most reliable VS pump on the market. Pentair reduced the warranty because the 011018 isn't their top of the line pump any longer. They only give three years on the top line pumps. The 011018 is being discounted online now in the eight hundred dollar range. Drive failures are by far the biggest issue with all VS pumps. Most are caused by power surges. Anyone adding a VS pump should also put in whole house surge protectors. The pump is a computer connected to a high power motor, placed outdoors and powered through a long feed circuit. Gee, what could go wrong there?

Come on, that is not acceptable. In this day and age, a device can not function outdoors? Proper enclosure and transformers especially at that price point. What about air conditioners and heat pumps? At least heat pumps have onboard motherboards for programming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Come on, that is not acceptable. In this day and age, a device can not function outdoors? Proper enclosure and transformers especially at that price point. What about air conditioners and heat pumps? At least heat pumps have onboard motherboards for programming.

He didn't say it can't be operated outdoors. His point was that it is susceptible to power surges and that a surge protector should be used to help prevent that. As he said, the 011018 is by far the most popular pump on TFP and there are very few reports of failure with most being related to power surges. Mine is on its 6th summer of flawless performance and I'll buy another one without hesitation.

He didn't say it can't be operated outdoors. His point was that it is susceptible to power surges and that a surge protector should be used to help prevent that. As he said, the 011018 is by far the most popular pump on TFP and there are very few reports of failure with most being related to power surges. Mine is on its 6th summer of flawless performance and I'll buy another one without hesitation.

I understand his point and I agree a surge suppressor is beneficial for any device. What is upsetting is 2 reps from pentair acknowledged that these have become known issues to the point that they want the part back to analyze the issue.

The fact that they want to analyze the cause of the failure, just shows concern for the quality of the product. There are many thousands of pool owners here and, as was noted, this is the most popular VS pump with very few failures reported. This is the very first failure of a pump timer, were it fails to maintain current time that I have ever seen. Although drive failures do occasionally occur, this would appear to be a rather rare type.

Many pool owners here, including myself, have had a Pentair Intelliflo pump in service for many years without any problems whatsoever. You, on the other hand, have a total sample size on one. You did have a problem of and unusual nature. Pentair has repaired your pump under warranty and is analyzing the cause to prevent future failures of this type. I don't see any complaint you could have, that would warrant warning people to not buy Pentair pumps. Nor do I see any evidence that "They are knowingly selling problematic variable speed pumps and not informing their customers".

The fact that they want to analyze the cause of the failure, just shows concern for the quality of the product. There are many thousands of pool owners here and, as was noted, this is the most popular VS pump with very few failures reported. This is the very first failure of a pump timer, were it fails to maintain current time that I have ever seen. Although drive failures do occasionally occur, this would appear to be a rather rare type.

Many pool owners here, including myself, have had a Pentair Intelliflo pump in service for many years without any problems whatsoever. You, on the other hand, have a total sample size on one. You did have a problem of and unusual nature. Pentair has repaired your pump under warranty and is analyzing the cause to prevent future failures of this type. I don't see any complaint you could have, that would warrant warning people to not buy Pentair pumps. Nor do I see any evidence that "They are knowingly selling problematic variable speed pumps and not informing their customers".

I understand what you are saying, but they know it is a issue and they are replacing it with the same problematic part. It is not a new and revised part. My warranty runs out now because I am right at the 3 year mark. Again, they themselves are acknowledging the drives are having issues but after this I get 60 days on the part. Mind you, this is a part that pentair is saying does have problems. They are not giving me drive 2.0. They are giving me the same exact drive.
That is awesome that your pump is working perfectly and I certainly hope it continues to do so because paying $1k plus is pretty steep for some, myself included. My concern is after this my warranty will elapsed and my part fails, then I am on my own. Plain and simple letting the the pool community know. Maybe on this forum I am a sample of one but I searched online in general to try to find a solution and that is how I came across others having drive issues.

The pump drive is the part most prone to failure, and you now have a pump that's three years old, with a brand new drive on it. Admittedly, it's the same drive you had originally, and the same one every other Intelliflo 011018 has. Pentair sold you a pump with a three year warranty. You had a problem. They honored the warranty. Just count yourself lucky that the problem didn't occur a month after the warranty expired.

I'm happy with my five year old Intelliflo with a five year old drive on it, and you are complaining because your three year old pump has a brand new drive. Sorry, I just fail to see what Pentair did wrong. I'm guessing you want them to extend your warranty, beyond the three years, because you had a problem. That's not how warranties work. Pumps are cheap compared to cars, but tell your dealer you want a couple years tacked on to the warranty and see the response.

Agree to disagree, I'm out.

The pump drive is the part most prone to failure, and you now have a pump that's three years old, with a brand new drive on it. Admittedly, it's the same drive you had originally, and the same one every other Intelliflo 011018 has. Pentair sold you a pump with a three year warranty. You had a problem. They honored the warranty. Just count yourself lucky that the problem didn't occur a month after the warranty expired.

I'm happy with my five year old Intelliflo with a five year old drive on it, and you are complaining because your three year old pump has a brand new drive. Sorry, I just fail to see what Pentair did wrong. I'm guessing you want them to extend your warranty, beyond the three years, because you had a problem. That's not how warranties work. Pumps are cheap compared to cars, but tell your dealer you want a couple years tacked on to the warranty and see the response.

Agree to disagree, I'm out.

That's great that your pump is working perfectly. For those that have or are considering this pump, There is a known issue with the drive. Yes, buyer beware. If you have a perfectly working pump then that is great. Even though I am the only person reporting it on this forum, 2 reps informed me this is a known issue. Yes I am lucky that I'm just within my warranty but if it happens to someone after the the warranty expires, I would suspect the consumer would be upset when pentair responds that they knew of the problem but it will cost you $650 plus any labor to replace because it is not under warranty any longer.

I have the exact same problem and have found many others online that also have this issue. Short poeer outages i actually just lose however many minutes the power was out ip to around 20. After that defaults to 12am. Why Pentair would tie a $10 computer board to a $1000 pump is beyond comprehension. Love the Motor HATE the computer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.