wsh842

Jun 9, 2021
Detroit Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 30k+ gallon pool in Southeast Michigan (Detroit suburbs). I had the tile and coping replaced last year along with all plumbing (2x skimmers and 1x bottom drain, 3x returns and 2 deck-jets all on 1.5” plumbing home run back to the equipment pad, which is in my attached garage)

I am looking at upgrading the current 3/4hp single speed whisper flow pump to a variable speed pump, and I am considering the pentair intelliflow or pentair superflow pumps.

I wanted to see what the opinions are on either pump.

I am also concerned that both skimmers seem to have their work cut out for them early and late season due to trees near the pool, if I am running variable speed during the day am I going to have significantly reduced skimmer action because of the lower velocity ?

Photo for reference IMG_8873.jpeg

If you have the budget going with the larger Intelliflo has a few advantages:

1) Slightly more efficient
2) Lower noise level for a given flow rate
3) Larger impeller which is less likely to get clogged
4) Fully programmable via external controller

I am also concerned that both skimmers seem to have their work cut out for them early and late season due to trees near the pool, if I am running variable speed during the day am I going to have significantly reduced skimmer action because of the lower velocity ?
The skimming ability is related to flow rate so there will be some impact but to compensate, you can just run the pump longer. At half speed and even with doubling the run time, the total energy consumed is still much less than a single speed pump.

The size of the pool really has nothing to do with which VS pump to pick...

I never recommend using a small (1.5 HP) VS pump like the SuperFlo VS...

I like the larger (3 HP) VS pumps like the IntelliFlo VS

As Mark pointed out above, the larger the pump, the more water it can move at a lower RPM.. the lower the RPM, the less the cost and the quieter it is.

I run my 3 HP IntelliFlo, mostly at 1200 RPM. At that speed, you almost have to touch it just to make sure it is actually running. :mrgreen:

The downside of course is the $$$$$$.. The SuperFlo will work, but the IntelliFlo will just work better.

As a side note, I have three old IntelliFlo VS pumps that have been running 24/7 for well over 10 years and they run today, just like they did when I bought them. When one dies, I'll have another on my porch the next day..

Here is a good place to research and buy pool equipment... Pentair

If you are interested in a pump that can be controlled by an App, you should check out the new IntelliFlo3

Thanks,

Jim R.