Gold Supporter
May 14, 2022
Northern CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm replumbing my 1980's era inground 19k pool to add a flow meter, check valve, doser injection point. Unfortunately to make the modifications I need to make I will need to replace two unions: one the intake of my IntelliPRO VS pump, the second one the outflow port of a Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR333NA gas heater. Unfortunately the past installers left no room to couple off of and used elbows right up against the union's slip adapter. So I know I have two options: 1.) Try the heat gun method to remove the old PVC from the existing slip adapter and re-use it. -or- 2.) Replace them.

I'm leaning for option 2 to prevent any surprises on re-plumb day that might leave me without a filtration system for several days. I was thinking just a standard 2" PVC union with the included slip adapter at Home Depot would do the job, but I also see that Pentair specifies union part numbers for both of these products. Does that mean these units are using a different thread pattern, different sealing techniques than the usual unions at a hardware store? Or will any 2" union work?

SR333NA Union (PKG188): Pentair Union Kit, 2 Inch Union Half x 2 Inch Slip Connection | PKG 188 PKG 188Z

IntelliPRO VS Union Slip Adapter (U11-196PS): Amazon.com: Pentair U11-196PS 2-Inch Slip Union Adapter Replacement Pool/Spa Filter and Pump : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Definitely not the same as the standard 2" PVC unions. I replumbed a bunch of stuff on my pad several years ago. Bought all new unions for the same reason as you, I didn't want any issues on rework day.

Can also use something like this to reuse fittings... https://www.amazon.com/Jones-Stephens-Socket-Saver-Carded/dp/B000HE5E0A

I used that on all of my valves and it worked great. There are videos on YouTube for how to use them. May require a little sanding of the fitting afterwards, but worth it to save $50 on a new valve.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.