Pentair Superflo VST waterfall air leak?

ps004ynos

Jan 23, 2021
Orange County, CA
Can someone tell me if this is normal?

We had our PB install waterfalls. They're driven by a Pentair Superflo VST. We rarely use the waterfall feature. Last week I turned them on for a first time in a long time and no water came out. I checked and the Superflo basket had no water in it. I turned off the system, released pressure, opened the filter and water rushed in and filled the basket completely. So I closed the top, restated the system, and the waterfalls worked again. Except I noticed the Superflo basket was empty of water again. The pump sounds fine but I'm not sure this indicates air in the system?

Photo attached. Red arrow points to the Superflo VST waterfall pump. Green arrow points to the Superflo VSF filter pump.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2330.jpg
    IMG_2330.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 15
ps,

You should not have two pumps getting water from the same pipe.

I "suspect" that your waterfall pump is getting its water from the same place your main is getting its water.. I don't know that for sure, so it would be worth finding out.

Show us several pics of your equipment pad so we can see what pipes are connected to what..

Do you have 2 sets of drain covers in the bottom of your pool? Or just two covers?

Do you have any large covers on the side wall of your pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

ps,

You should not have two pumps getting water from the same pipe.

I "suspect" that your waterfall pump is getting its water from the same place your main is getting its water.. I don't know that for sure, so it would be worth finding out.

Show us several pics of your equipment pad so we can see what pipes are connected to what..

Do you have 2 sets of drain covers in the bottom of your pool? Or just two covers?

Do you have any large covers on the side wall of your pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Added a few more photos above of the equipment area. I see two drains at the bottom for the deep end and two on the sidewall next to the skimmer.

Attachments

• E02CB356-CB1C-421D-8266-A15D77769C62.jpeg
    E02CB356-CB1C-421D-8266-A15D77769C62.jpeg
    594 KB · Views: 6
  • E17306A1-957A-4540-9675-81A614E3AACD.jpeg
    E17306A1-957A-4540-9675-81A614E3AACD.jpeg
    610.2 KB · Views: 6
When I first saw my in-laws SuperFlo running, my heart stopped a second because I thought the pump basket was running empty. When I looked closer, I saw it was running so efficiently that there no air bubbles at all; it was completely full. The smooth shape of the lid doesn't trap air bubbles like the IntelliFlo, so it's hard to see water in the pump basket.

Looking at your video, I see a full pump basket, then a few air bubbles purge at about 25 seconds. From 30 seconds on the basket is full of water. If you look close, you'll a few bubbles pass by in the pump basket.

Maybe it's just me?

When I first saw my in-laws SuperFlo running, my heart stopped a second because I thought the pump basket was running empty. When I looked closer, I saw it was running so efficiently that there no air bubbles at all; it was completely full. The smooth shape of the lid doesn't trap air bubbles like the IntelliFlo, so it's hard to see water in the pump basket.

Looking at your video, I see a full pump basket, then a few air bubbles purge at about 25 seconds. From 30 seconds on the basket is full of water. If you look close, you'll a few bubbles pass by in the pump basket.

Maybe it's just me?
I wish! I took another look and it’s empty. Took another video, you can see a piece of a leaf flying around. If this is the way it’s meant to be, I’m ok with it. Just didn’t want the pump to be damaged.

Keep an eye on the pump lid and shut down the pump. Watch for changes in the water level as the pump shuts down. Open up the lid and see if there's water inside. If it's full, you should see water drain down as you remove the lid.

Reactions: ps004ynos

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ps,

Well, the good news is that it looks like I am wrong once again... :mrgreen:

I now suspect that the two intakes below your skimmer are for your waterfall pump. Should be pretty easy for you to tell by feeling the suction at the intakes with the waterfall pump on and off.

After reading Mike's input above, tell us why you think the waterfall pump's basket is empty?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Keep an eye on the pump lid and shut down the pump. Watch for changes in the water level as the pump shuts down. Open up the lid and see if there's water inside. If it's full, you should see water drain down as you remove the lid.
You were right! I removed the top again and there was water. It’s really deceptive like you said. Thanks for this tip!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.