Desease1

Aug 14, 2020
Atlantis, FL
I have a Pentair SuperFlo VS pump out of warranty with an issue whereby the clock does not retain current time even with a short power interruption. Apparently the fix is ~$400 control board. As an alternative, I am considering using the Pentair Digital Input cable in conjuntion with a battery back-up digital timer to remotely control the Speed 1 and Speed 2 start/stop times. My question is rather my programmed speed settings (Speed 1 @ 2400 / Speed 2 @ 1000) are retained when power is interrupted or do they default to the factory defaults of Speed 1 @ 3000 and Speed 2 @ 1400? FYI, the timer I am using is the Intermatic PE153 with three timed relay outputs; 2 of which I will use for pool speed and the 3rd for Salt Chlorinator. The timer has a mode whereby the relay 3 for Chlorinator can not be closed without either relay 1 or relay 2 being closed.

Hey guys,
No idea about the speed settings or the digital input cable... I've never messed with a superflo. BUT, I did recall seeing a thread about dead clock backups on these pumps.

There's unfortunately no solution posted - we need somebody with one of these things to crack open the keypad/inverter and look for a capacitor or battery for the clock - but here it is...

I've tried to contact Pentair technical support but they don't seem to be able or willing to forward the question to an electrical design engineer who is knowledgeable. My observation is that with a short power interruption the clock resets to a flashing 8AM, but it appears that the user programmed speeds and duration times are retained (since they do not revert back to the factory default settings). This would imply that the user programmed motor speeds and duration times are stored in non-volatile memory and are therefore retained even with a power interruption. My conclusion (or hope) is that there are two different scenarios: 1) during power interruption the clock time is maintained for several hours (in a 100% working system-which mine is not) by some capacitor or battery in the hermetically sealed electronics and 2) the motor speeds and duration times are stored independently in non-volatile memory -or- maintained by the motor capacitor charge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.