Pentair superflo VS and IC60 with timer

Apr 27, 2017
TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a pentair superflo vs part number 342001. I also have a timer that I have set to permanently on since I use the timer functions on the variable speed pump.

I am planning on purchasing the IC60 salt cell and power center. I am struggling with how to operate it. The pump is 220v. It looks like the power center can be wired either way. I believe understand that part.

Can the superflo vs control center turn the salt cell on and off as it goes on and off? There is a port on the side of it, can I hook it up to that? Or does it have to be turned on and off only with the timer. If so, it seems silly to have a timer turn the pool pump on and off when the pump already has the timer built into it.

What I f I have the pool pump set to operate for 16 hours how to I sync the IC60 to that? It cannot operate when the pump is off. Or do I just have to suck it up and run the timer at 16 hours a day and use the pump timers to change the flow rates within that timeframe. Or do I do the opposite and run it all 24 hours a day and set the pool pump to run as slow as possible for the last 8 hours a day and set the ic60 to a low percent to save the life cycle of the salt cell?

Any advice?

Ex,

The simplest thing to do is run the SuperFlo 24/7 and let the cell make chlorine 24/7 but at a very low rate. Doing this means not having to sync anything or use an external timer.

Just run the pump at the speed it takes to turn the SWCG's flow switch on, plus 100 rpm. For me this 1200 rpm.. I would not run below 1000 rpm to keep the skimmers working.

To me, it does not make sense to run the pump if you are not making chlorine.

You can still use the timer in the SuperFlo to set the speeds you want to run during the cycle.. Just keep in mind that the main goal of a VS pump is to run slow to save on the electrical bill.

Don't fall in the trap of thinking you have to "turnover" X amount of water per day, which is just a myth.

I do this with my pools.. I like making a little chlorine all the time, and I like skimming all the time..

If your pool is 20K or less, I would get the IC40..

Another option is to run the pump 24/7 and use a timer to control the amount of chlorine the cell is making..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP.

Wire your Superflo VS directly to constant power on the LINE side of your timer. Wire the IC60 to the LOAD side of the timer. The IC60 can run on 220V.

You set the pump run schedule on the pump control panel. Then set the timer schedule for the IC60 to run within the pump schedule.

Running the pump 24/7 simplifies the schedule setup. Either way can work.

The IC60 life cycle is based on the chlorine generated. It does not matter if you generate it quickly in a few hours, or slowly over 24 hours. You use the same amount of the cell.

Last edited:
Ex,

The simplest thing to do is run the SuperFlo 24/7 and let the cell make chlorine 24/7 but at a very low rate. Doing this means not having to sync anything or use an external timer.

Just run the pump at the speed it takes to turn the SWCG's flow switch on, plus 100 rpm. For me this 1200 rpm.. I would not run below 1000 rpm to keep the skimmers working.

To me, it does not make sense to run the pump if you are not making chlorine.

You can still use the timer in the SuperFlo to set the speeds you want to run during the cycle.. Just keep in mind that the main goal of a VS pump is to run slow to save on the electrical bill.

Don't fall in the trap of thinking you have to "turnover" X amount of water per day, which is just a myth.

I do this with my pools.. I like making a little chlorine all the time, and I like skimming all the time..

If your pool is 20K or less, I would get the IC40..

Another option is to run the pump 24/7 and use a timer to control the amount of chlorine the cell is making..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Great info! That was what I was leaning towards. I almost always run my pump at 2200 for 6 - 8 hours then the rest of the 24 hours at 1200-1500 rpm. My pool is 28000 gallons that’s why I was leaning towards the ic60. Do you think the ic40 would work still?

Welcome to TFP.

Wire your Superflo VS directly to constant power on the LINE side of your timer. Wire the IC60 to the LOAD side of the timer. The IC60 can run on 220V.

You set the pump run schedule on the pump control panel. Then set the timer schedule for the IC60 to run within the pump schedule.

The IC60 lief cycle is based on the chlorjne generated. IT does not matter if you generate it quickly in a few hours, or slowly over 24 hours. You use the same amount of the cell.
Makes sense about the amount of chlorine generated being the life cycle! I think 24 hours a day at low chlorine generation. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

The IC60 lief cycle is based on the chlorjne generated. IT does not matter if you generate it quickly in a few hours, or slowly over 24 hours. You use the same amount of the cell.
Also, I’m a long time lurker 😂 I have been using TF-100 test kit and liquid chlorine since before I joined in 2017! Thanks for the welcome though this was my first post!

Ex,

If your pool is 28K then I would go with the IC60...

Please fill out your pool's signature.. It keeps us from guessing about what you have. :mrgreen: You can use mine or Allen's as an example..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.