Pentair Superflo 2hp Pump - Loud..inlet too short?

Topfox

Jul 2, 2018
VA
Hey everyone,

Builders are finishing up a brand new gunite 20x40 3.5ft-8ft pool at my house. We just got things plastered last week and filled. The builder installed a Pentair Superflo 2hp Pump, and it seems to be a little loud in my opinion, but maybe it is normal. I can hear it in the distance on the pool deck when I am over 60ft away from it. I have it in a utility area that also has my HVAC equipment and has a 6 ft high vinyl fencing surrounding the area. The noise is basically a loud humming noise. All the filters are clean and the pressure reading is 10. The pump is on basically what appears to be a large concrete stone pad...I know it isn't a poured slab. I tried putting weight on it and so forth to see if it was just vibration, but that made no difference at all. I downloaded the Pentair installation manual to see if that led to any clues, and I did find one discrepancy. In the manual it says the inlet pipe should have a straight run that is at least 5x the diameter of the inlet pipe before an elbow or a T is introduced. Ours is about 3-4in in length before a T is in the line. I believe our pipe is 2in in diameter, so I believe it should be 10 in in length for the straight run. Does anyone think that this could be what is causing the pump to be loud? Or is the pump for pools just loud?

Thanks!

tf,

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to find the answers to all of your "Why can't I hear?" questions... :shark:

If your Pentair SuperFlo is a single speed 2 HP pump then "Loud" is just what you bought... The length of input pipe will make zero difference in how loud it is.. :(

If you have the SuperFlo Variable Speed pump, then your pool builder has no clue what he is doing and has it running waaaay too fast...

Which pump do you have? Does it have a control panel mounted above the motor or not?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the response. Looks like it is just the single speed. Sigh. Wish he would of explained that to me ahead of time. Would of picked the quieter pump hands down.

tf,

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to find the answers to all of your "Why can't I hear?" questions... :shark:

If your Pentair SuperFlo is a single speed 2 HP pump then "Loud" is just what you bought... The length of input pipe will make zero difference in how loud it is.. :(

If you have the SuperFlo Variable Speed pump, then your pool builder has no clue what he is doing and has it running waaaay too fast...

Which pump do you have? Does it have a control panel mounted above the motor or not?

Thanks,

Jim R.

ft,

I would let the pool builder know that you are not at all happy and maybe he'll do something on his own, or at least make you a good deal on a 2-speed or VS pump...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.