Pentair Superflo 2-speed, 1 1/2 hp very noisy

bjsbuds

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
The past couple of days my pump has been running very noisy. I began troubleshooting by removing the clamp/lid, which has always taken a rubber mallet to get on and take off, putting magic lube on the O-Ring. Then I put my hand in the opening to see if the impeller was blocked. Got a few things out. Primed pump again and turned on. Pressure gauge at 25. The pump is still very noisy.
I am willing to try to repair the motor, although I have no experience doing so, and would likely have to purchase the proper pully tool to remove the bearing. Of course, this is happening on a holiday weekend, so it will be unlikely to find the proper parts. One thing that puzzles me is that there is salt residue around the seem of the housing, assume from the SWG? I have not seen that before. After watching a few You Tube videos, I am guessing it is either, the seal plate O-Ring, Seal Plate, Shaft Seal or bearing. Any advice?

Attachments

• Pool Equipment.jpg
    Pool Equipment.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Pump - front vieew.jpg
    Pump - front vieew.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Pump - motor label.jpg
    Pump - motor label.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Pump - motor warranty number.jpg
    Pump - motor warranty number.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Pump - Superflo label.jpg
    Pump - Superflo label.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 5
Your signature shows this pump/motor dated 2014, so 8 years is a fairly good run. With signs of corrosion on the motor (dry) end, perhaps water has infiltrated the shaft seal and slowly seeping through which could explain why you are seeing the damage now. If so, it may just be better to replace the motor than trying to mess with the bearings.

Sorry, replied to someone else's thread. I took your advice and purchased a new Pentair pump yesterday, which is being installed Tuesday. Hoping it will be more energy efficient and last several years. The only one they had in stock was a Superflo VS. Most dealers didn't even had a pump in stock. Hope this will be a good one.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.