Pentair Pumps - 011056 vs. 022056 ? Which one? Differences?

Nov 3, 2014
CA
Hi! I went to several stores in CA trying to price a Pentair pump to replace my 15 year old WhisperFlo - 220V 1HP.

Several stores recommended Pentair IntelliFlow 011056 for around $1,100 + tax + ($200 installation to get 2 year warranty).
One store recommended 022056 claiming that beginning 2021 all pool pumps sold in CA must be Title 20 compliant (some CA bs).
022056 can be had for $140 more.

I am trying to figure out the differences between 011056 and 022056. Unfortunately, Pentair's web site does not provide any meaningful details.

Any info/links/specs are highly appreciated in advance.

Mike

Mike,

The 011056 has 2" plumbing and the 022056 has 2.5" plumbing...

Personally I would buy the 011028 which is the standard VS pump as 99% of people don't need the "Flow" portion of the VSF pump.

But then, I like simple.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Get the 011028 VS pump unless they are selling the 011056 VSF pump cheaper. You don’t need the F feature.

Both pumps are CA Title 20 compliant. Pumps and replacement motors that are single speed and one (1) Total HP or greater cannot be sold, offered for sale, or installed in a residential pool for filtration use in California, Title 20 CCR sections 1601-1609.

The 022056 is made to be a drop in replacement for Whisperflo and Challenger pumps. The pool store was trying to up sell you a more expensive pump.

Reactions: Cowgirl47
The 022056 is a better pump. However, I wouldn't pay more for it except in a few cases where you need the better performance.

Just get the standard 011028.

Check for rebates available from your local utilities and from Pentair.

I mentioned in another thread, but I don’t believe you can buy the #0110028 anymore that everyone recommends. The #011056 is readily available and cheaper and feel Pentair is pushing it as the replacement for the #0110028.

The VS and VSF are basically the exact same pump.

So, it's hugely inefficient from an inventory and logistics point of view.

In my opinion, manufacturers need to make a big VS pump and a smaller VS pump, that's it.

There's no need for anything else. Two pumps, simple, easy, efficient.

Single speed pumps especially need to go.

Excellent Pentair pump comparison article and I quote "The similarity between the pumps and the names lends itself well to creating a confusing shopping process for pool owners who are trying to decide which pump they want to buy. Well, it gets worse. Pentair has started to brand the IntelliFlo pump into multiple designations so now there are a half dozen versions of the "IntelliFlo" to choose from and each one does something different. While on the surface this might sound like it is confusing, and I suppose it could be if you are new to pool pumps, but the actual technology behind the new IntelliFlo pump versions is very smart and clearly designed to solve common problems that pool owners have."

Sourced article; Pentair Pool Pump Comparison

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.