Pentair pump - 3 years old won’t start

gt_cpa25

Oct 23, 2021
Sugar Hill, GA
My pentair pump that is 3 years old will only start if I take the back cover off and “jump start” it with a pair of pliers on the shaft. If I do not it over heats and trips the breaker. Is this fixable or should I call a company to get a new pump?

What model pump? Pentair makes a lot of different pumps.

First think to check is the start capacitor in the pump, if it has one.

Post pics of your pump and motor.

What model pump? Pentair makes a lot of different pumps.

First think to check is the start capacitor in the pump, if it has one.

Post pics of your pump and motor.

Pics attached. I changed the capacitor and that didn’t fix it. I had to do that once during the summer and it did resolve the issue.

Attachments

• 1C443B35-501D-4E49-A650-9527E5D242EB.jpeg
    1C443B35-501D-4E49-A650-9527E5D242EB.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 13
Gt, those synchronous motors usually have a switch that disconnects the starting capacitor once they get going. Your switch may have stuck open or possibly fused. You'll get good instructions shortly I'm sure. Hang in there.

A capacitor should not require replacement in 2 years. Do you have a multimeter to test the capacitor?

You can check the Pump Centrifugal Switch - Further Reading

If that is your main pump, what is your daily pump runtime?

You can probably save a lot in electrical cost by replacing it with a variable speed pump.

I have been running 6 hours per day during winter and then as needed for freeze protect. Summer it runs 10-12 hours per day. It is a 29000 gallon pool.

Suggestions on a VS pump replacement? I have pentair easy touch, pentair SWCG, heyward heater, and sand filter.

I have pentair easy touch,
The Superflo must be a new manufacture or cannot be controlled by the EasyTouch.

You will be able to run the Intelliflo at lower rpm and achieve lower electrical cost versus the Superflo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay thanks. Pros of that versus the Superflo? I had a pool company out and they recommended the superflo. I didn’t see this before so did not know what to as for a comparison.

I think the IntelliFlo will drop right in and align with your suction and return pipes. It is the same form factor as your WEF pump. The Superflo will require some plumbing adjustments as it is a smaller pump.

The IntelliFlo has 2" pipes and is a 3.95 THP.

The SuperFlo has 1.5" pipes and is a 2.2 THP.

Your WEF has 2" pipes.

The IntelliFlo will be more efficient and use less electricity at the same HP as the SuperFlo.

The IntelliFlo is a better fit to replace your WFE-8 pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.