Pentair PS4 Panel Comm Probs???

iain42

Oct 16, 2016
Little Rock AR
This is our 4th year with the pool and I had just bragged about how easy it has been to manage.... Sucker... DOOOM!

We had some storms last night with lots of lightning so I turned off the power at the panel. After they passed I turned everything back on and assumed it would resume normal operation. This morning the pump was off so I checked the ps4 panel and pentair vsf said com error. Then I fiddled with it and it would turn on for a few minutes then turn off. When the pump would run any amount of time I checked the Pentair SWG and it also said Com Link Error. Then the lights would flash a pattern repeatedly. The SWG complained about low salt but I had just added two bags the day before. The diagnostics for the SWG just says Com error. If I unplug the com cable the pump works manually.

I did a physical inspection of the pump and ps4 panel. I didn't see any scorched wires or signs of issues no burned parts or hot spots. How do I proceed to trouble shoot? Are there any guides? The odds of getting a competent pool tech in this town are slim to none. I do lots of electrical DIY so I no how not to become a french fry.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Other than the Pump, do you have any other items attached to the RS485 com ports? Screenlogic, remotes, etc?

Great. So you only have the pump RS485 cable attached to the com port.

When the pool mode is on, does the pump screen show Display Not Active? If you put the ET into Service Mode, does the pump display show RPM, etc?

Reactions: iain42
He has two RS-485 connections - IntelliFlo pump and IntelliChlor SWG.

Disconnect the IntelliChlor RS-485 wire at the ET and see if the pump communicates.

Reactions: iain42 and mknauss
FYI -- below this thread are listed a number of threads with similar issues. Our ET expert Jimrahbe responded on many of those. Be sure to review those threads for solutions.

He could have three RS-485 with the UltraTemp HP also using it.

I just walked out to check and the pump turned itself off.
The screen is orange and displays RPM so I hit number 2 so it runs at 1800rpm...
If the display not active is green then the panel controls it but not reliably. Service mode shows RPM as you said.

Weird but glad you said great!

I am going to tackle this fresh tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:
Ok I read some threads. A little confusing but some good tips.

Good news: I took some deoxit to the pins of the Pump Com cable. Now the pump works from the panel without issues.

Bad news: However, I have lost power to my SWG cell. It went from blinking like crazy to nadda. I did check around for loose cables..

Here is a pic of some interesting wiring. I believe I traced the grey cable to the SWG power supply.
IMG_6713.JPG
Here is a pic of the SWG Power Supply.
IMG_6716.JPG
Here is an overview...
IMG_6714.JPG

The grey cable is the RS485 Comm connection between the Intellichlor power supply and the Easytouch.

Your Intellichlor is not powered on? Be sure you are in Pool Mode as that is when the Intellichlor should have power. There should be no power to it when the pump is not running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The grey cable is the RS485 Comm connection between the Intellichlor power supply and the Easytouch.

Your Intellichlor is not powered on? Be sure you are in Pool Mode as that is when the Intellichlor should have power. There should be no power to it when the pump is not running.
Grey cable noted...

The intellichlor is dead as a doornail. Not a peep or a blink of a light. Before it stopped working. The 2% and 4% were blinking in pairs alternating with 8% and 10%.

Pool is indeed in pool mode.
Pump is working perfectly now.

Take the Intellichlor RS485 cable off the comm connection. Always turn off power to the ET when doing any wiring in it.
Once the comm cable is disconnected, in Pool mode, see what the Intellichlor does.

OK -- so time to look at if it is getting power. Start at the breaker that feeds the IC. Move on to the transformer and then the surge card.

Is the IntelliChlor Power Center in your ET panel or do you have a separate Power Center box?

Is the IntelliChlor Power Center in your ET panel or do you have a separate Power Center box?

It has a separate power box. Pic above.

OK -- so time to look at if it is getting power. Start at the breaker that feeds the IC. Move on to the transformer and then the surge card.
Breaker->Transformer->surgee card->IC40.
Ok.. I do not know where the surge card is but I'll go through the manual. I have a really good multimeter what should the voltage be for the surge card.

In this pic you can see the green LED on below the 10 amp fuse on the lower right.

Confirm you still have that green LED on and the 10 amp fuse is good.

img_6716-jpg.436086

IMG_6737.JPGIMG_6738.JPG
I pulled the fuse and it has an unbroken piece of metal in the middle so it looks good. In one picture the piece looks bad but in the other fine. Restarted the system same result no lights on ic40. Just downloaded power center manual but not alot of detail there..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.