Pentair Max E Therm 400 automatic bypass

Chaser918

Jan 10, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Hey all,

Curious if anyone may have any ideas on how to solve an issue im having. My MaxEtherm 400 heater is hooked up to my Intellicenter via Rs485. System works perfectly. I also have an external bypass with an actuator to bypass the heater when there is no call for heat. This is currently controlled by the Intellicenter.

I switched the actuator off the Intellicenter and over to control by the Heater the other day and enabled the bypass function in the heater. When a call for heat is made, the Heater moves the actuator as it should, all is well. When the call for heat ends, the heater will never move the actuator back to the bypass position. It also shows “cooldown” and wont move off of it on the heater display.

If I cycle the power on the heater with the breaker, once turned back on it will move the valve back to its home (bypass) position until another heat call is made. I disconnected the RS485 from the Intellicenter and let the heater “run the show” itself, it behaves exactly how it should in that case. It moves off the cooldown phase and moves the actuator back to bypass exactly like it should.

It seems to me it’s something to do with controlling the heater with the RS485 and having bypass mode enabled on the heater. Also worthy of note, when the heater does not have the actuator bypass enabled, and its being controlled via RS485, it does not sit there in the cool down phase indefinitely after finishing a heating cycle like it seems to do when the bypass mode is enabled. I have tried having the cooldown delay set to both 2 mins and off in the intellicenter and that had no change.

I have an email in to Pentair on it, anyone have any ideas or seen this before?

Last edited:
That is a known problem that has been reported to Pentair with the connected MasterTemp and StaRite heaters. The workaround is to connect the bypass to the IntelliCenter and not the heater.

That is a known problem that has been reported to Pentair with the connected MasterTemp and StaRite heaters. The workaround is to connect the bypass to the IntelliCenter and not the heater.
And I just found the other thread where someone asked this exact question. Not sure why I couldn’t find it earlier! Yea thats what i resorted to doing, just leaving it on the intellicenter for now.

Last edited:
@Chaser918 What firmware version are you running on the MaxEtherm 400 heater? Mine is using firmware version 1.0 and I have this issue. I know that firmware version 1.1 is now out (no upgrade, only available with new control board purchase). Firmware version can be viewed on the heater's menu, when RS485 is not connected or IntelliCenter is powered off and heater is then powered on. On the IntelliCenter side, this has been a known issue since firmware version 1.047 and still an issue with 2.006.

@Chaser918 What firmware version are you running on the MaxEtherm 400 heater? Mine is using firmware version 1.0 and I have this issue. I know that firmware version 1.1 is now out (no upgrade, only available with new control board purchase). Firmware version can be viewed on the heater's menu, when RS485 is not connected or IntelliCenter is powered off and heater is then powered on. On the IntelliCenter side, this has been a known issue since firmware version 1.047 and still an issue with 2.006.
Version 1.0 for me as well on the heater. Running 1.064 on the intellicenter. Wonder if they fixed this with the new heater firmware, or did they make everything worse like they did with the 2.006 Intellicenter firmware. LOL

Thanks for checking! I've had this issue with 1.047, 1.064 and now with 2.006 unfortunately. I must say that I don't know if this is a Heater firmware issue or an IntelliCenter Firmware issue or both. I did test the auto by-pass without the IntelliCenter and it works very well. it will trigger a cooldown and the by-pass, once the heater reaches the desired temperature and then disengage the by-pass and calls for heat, if the water temperature drops below the desired temperature.... now we just need it to work when heater is connected via RS485 to the IntelliCenter.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.