Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Moved from here.
@ajw22 I have the same problem as the original poster but I wasnt as lucky. Same mastertemp 400 except I have the Intellicenter. Pool is 2.5yrs old and heater has always worked and nothing has been chamged. I followed all the steps up and checked the basics.

1. Heater has 220v at the breaker - breaker is on.
2. Fuse in heater is good - no visual damage like blackness typically associated w blown fuse.
3. Contol wires from relay to board in good shape and not loose.
4. Spliced firemans switch ends together - heater fired right up BUT my set up is different than his. Instead of having wire nuts in heater box, I have a control cable that runs back into the Intellicenter box and plugs into the board.

20210718_093439.jpg
4. Reconnected wires to board and fired Intellicenter back up....no heater.

Its clearly a relay or something else in the box - heater is fine. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Thanks!

Do you have a multimeter?

Use the continuity checker on your MM and check if the heater relay in the Intellicenter opens and closes when you request heat.

Check the continuity on your heater control wires.

I have a multimeter. The relay the power lines are tied into is on the far left. Not sure why so many wires tied into that relay...
20210718_104412.jpg

I measured voltage from the black to red wires here with and without the system calling for heat. Shows 240 all the time regardless if heater is on or off.

20210718_104449.jpg

Disconnect the control line from J2 and check the continuity, NOT VOLTAGE, at J2 when you have heat on o0r off.

Yup, if you are operating the IntelliCenter correctly then it looks like the J2 relay failed.

You can examine the board to try and identify the relay and see if you see anything amiss.

Yup, if you are operating the IntelliCenter correctly then it looks like the J2 relay failed.

You can examine the board to try and identify the relay and see if you see anything amiss.
It also seems that this relay is on the board, meaning a complete replacement. 😒. Guess ill be callimg Pentair tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure how old your IntelliCenter is, but there seems to be quite the uptick recently in folks experiencing mothercard issues.
Almost all on newer installations. Not sure what is going on but obviously an issue with QC, quality of components used etc. :scratch:
One op even reported that the Pentair Tech Support rep alluded to the same. Lot's of mothercard warranty replacements lately.
Yes, definitely get a hold of Tech Support...

Technical Support
Toll Free
(800) 831-7133, * Press 1-2-2-2-1-1 for IntelliCenter
r.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure how old your IntelliCenter is, but there seems to be quite the uptick recently in folks experiencing mothercard issues.
Almost all on newer installations. Not sure what is going on but obviously an issue with QC, quality of components used etc. :scratch:
One op even reported that the Pentair Tech Support rep alluded to the same. Lot's of mothercard warranty replacements lately.
Yes, definitely get a hold of Tech Support...

Technical Support
Toll Free
(800) 831-7133, * Press 1-2-2-2-1-1 for IntelliCenter
r.
2.5yrs....so just out of warranty likely

Oh...
Well, give it a shot. You may have the Pentair "Bundled Products" Extended warranty (3 years), if your IntelliCenter, VSF or IntelliChem were purchased and warrantied together in some way.

2021-07-18_13-35-33.jpg

Hope you have good luck getting that taken care of by Pentair.
r.

In luck! Since it was a new build and all my equipment is Pentair, I did qualify for the 3yr warranty. They confirmed the board does have to be replaced and sending someone this week.

Thanks for the help @ajw22!

Reactions: mknauss
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.