Pentair Mastertemp 400 behavior with IntelliCenter i10PS settings?

tomas21

Gold Supporter
Jan 24, 2020
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Pool is finished and we are trying to understand the behavior of the Pentair Mastertemp 400 with our IntelliCenter i10PS.

We enable spa which turns on heater trying to get to 99 degrees from the 63 degrees it is currently at... After a while the system turns itself off..

When I go to the heater the heater panel is off and if I press on I see this.. Our Intellicenter says it is 86 degrees and set to 99... when I check out the heater is the heater telling me the spa temp is 101 and I set to 99... ?

Little confused on what is going on...

Heater panel when I notice the heater turns off...
1635021276086.png
Pentair App status when the heater is off
1635021195840.png

You have two temperature sensors.

The Intellicenter has a water temperature sensor installed somewhere in your pool plumbing.

The heater has a water temperature sensor at the inlet from the heater.

What is the actual temperature of the spa when the IC says 86 and the heater says 101?

Post pics of your equipment pad so we can see where the IC temperature sensor is located and what valves you have.

If a valve is not set wrong then one of the temperature sensors is defective. You can diagnose that using a multimeter. Given that it is a new pool you should put a warranty claim into your PB and let him figure out which one is defective.

Last edited:
I think I see what may be the cause...

Looks like plumbers put the temp sensor to the IC in front of the salt cell... but the salt cell probe was suppose to go there... and the red circle at the bottom is where the temp sensor was suppose to be coming from filter to heater but plumbers forgot.

Attachments

• Temp Sensor Mess-up.jpg
    Temp Sensor Mess-up.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 20
For the IC they should mount the water sensor in the plumbing system between the filter pump and filter. Not in the location you indicated with the red circle between the filter and the heater.

The salt cell does not have a probe so I don’t know what was intended in that location.

When they move the water sensor see that the IC water temperature and the heater water temperature agree before you agree the problem is fixed. While the water sensor is in the wrong place it should not be off by that much.

Thanks @ajw22 Our original design had the temp probe for IC between filter and heater but your right based on the IC installation instructions it states between filter pump and filter. I'll advise accordingly. The other tap before the salt cell is for the intelliPH feeder line

You have two problems with this temperature sensor.

1) It is after the heater, which means that it is sensing the heated water.

2) The sensor is too high.

It needs to be in the water stream.

The way it is, it is probably not even getting wet.

1635260650896.png

@JamesW thanks... yes the plumbers need to come back and relocate the temp probe to be in between the filter pump and filter and plumb the intelliPH to where the temp sensor is currently which is the wrong place.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.