ezgz

Oct 23, 2021
London, Ontario
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey everyone,

I have a Pentair Mastertemp 250 that is not igniting. I'm not getting any indication as to what the problem is either (see the panel pic attached).

• Fan is running
  • Heating LED goes on for a bit
  • Gas is running
  • I hear a tick noise (presumably that is the attempt to ignite)
  • Eventually the Heating LED goes out and the Service Heater LED turns on :(

I'm not really sure, given the lack of an error code, how to proceed. Hoping someone can give me a tip -- cheers!

IMG_20220827_105129785_HDR.jpg

The "tick" you're hearing should be the main gas valve opening. Stand over the vent as this is happening. Do you smell gas? Natural gas won't harm you in a small dose, don't worry. If not, no gas is going through the heater. Quick check, if there is a gas valve outside the heater, be sure it is open. Happens way more than you might think, finding that mnual valve off.

Wow do I love this forum!

@ajw22, thanks for the tip - after searching around I found the Fenwal box (let me tell you -- I did lose a little time trying to figure out what a FENWAY box was, but all good - I got there without a trip to Boston ;).

From there it was a three-flash indicating ignition lockout, so I checked the igniter since it was referenced in Heater Flame Sensing - Further Reading. Pull out the igniter and there is a tiny crack on the black thingy and you can see its corroded a little. Hoping I can find this party easily in my city!

The "tick" you're hearing should be the main gas valve opening. Stand over the vent as this is happening. Do you smell gas? Natural gas won't harm you in a small dose, don't worry. If not, no gas is going through the heater. Quick check, if there is a gas valve outside the heater, be sure it is open. Happens way more than you might think, finding that mnual valve off.
Hey, yeah, I do smell just a hint of gas when it tries to get going. Turns out the igniter was cracked/corroded.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Sorry about the typo sending you too far east.

Reactions: ezgz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.