Pentair Master Temp 400 problem

GoHorns

Mar 28, 2020
Dallas, Tx
Ok so we have a problem with our Pentair Master Temp 400 which is 9 years old (manufactured in 2011). The heater will come on, but after a few seconds it will cycle off and when it does cycle off the pipes shake and it sounds like there are rocks in the pipes. There are no error codes either. From the research I have done it seems it could be an issue with the Thermal Regulator. I've watched a few videos on youtube of others replacing the TR on a Pentair Master Temp 400, but my heater doesn't have the TR access point in the same place from others I've seen. Does any one know where the TR is on this particular model? Could my problem be something other than the Thermal Regulator? Thanks in advance for the help!!

Pentair Master Temp 400 model number 460775, manufactured in 2011

Pentair-460775-ASME-Pool-Heater-3.jpg

Does the heater look like this?

All water flow and returns are working as normal with great flow. If I close the valves to circulate just the hot tub and then turn on the heater it does the same, it will also ignite, then shut down just as described before. The same happens when I have all returns to the pool and hot tub going. Either way the heater ignites and shuts down as I mentioned in the original post. I really appreciate your assistance.

I suspect that the bypass is the problem. Check it as described in the reference.

Check the LEDs on the back of the circuit board to see why the heater is shutting down.

The following are the LEDs:
  1. .....PS (Pressure Switch)
  2. .....HLS (High Limit Switch)
  3. .....SFS (Stack Flue Sensor)
  4. .....AFS (Air Flow Switch)
  5. .....AGS (Automatic Gas Shutoff).
  6. .....Service System
  7. .....Thermistor
  8. .....Heating
  9. .....Pool On
  10. ...Spa On
  11. ...Service Heater.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
James, sorry I am just now checking back on this thread. Other projects have taken priority....lol. Are you saying to replace the bypass? The reference above just shows how to access the bypass, but doesn’t mention a specific part that needs to be replaced. Thank again for the help.

James, sorry I am just now checking back on this thread. Other projects have taken priority....lol. Are you saying to replace the bypass? The reference above just shows how to access the bypass, but doesn’t mention a specific part that needs to be replaced. Thank again for the help.

Internal by-pass kit P/N 77707-0001.

James in that illustration it seems the bypass is very easily accessible and is the same design I have on my heater. However the thread ajw22 posted above, it appears that person had to remove the entire manifold assembly to do the replacement. I don’t want to remove the entire assembly if not necessary, and potentially open myself up to further repairs. It’s obvious that pool equipment repairs aren’t my expertise....lol. You guys have been a big help.

Got ya. It all makes sense now. Our heater was used at a small apartment complex for 1 year before we got it. We did a pool remodel 5 years ago and we’re replacing the heater, the project foreman called me and told me he just took a heater off a local job at an apartment complex that was only a year old and asked me if I wanted it. I expected to pay for it but he gave it to us at no charge. Maybe our heater is not considered a residential heater?

The part on the left is what I pulled out of the heater. The part on the right is what I ordered and apparently is not the correct part.

The second pic is from the manifold where the part came out of.

Attachments

• FDFC6CC2-5FC0-4117-A584-A6E15DD3EBDB.jpeg
    FDFC6CC2-5FC0-4117-A584-A6E15DD3EBDB.jpeg
    573.4 KB · Views: 10
  • ECAEE2C1-461E-498D-95A5-04537C7AE415.jpeg
    ECAEE2C1-461E-498D-95A5-04537C7AE415.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.