Pentair light out - troubleshooting help needed

Jul 12, 2017
Humble, TX
I have a Pentair Intellibrite 5g White LED pool light. This unit is 120v from panel to unit with a step down transformer inside unit to 12v. This light went out last week (about 6 years old). I want to get the light back in operation but I am not sure how to test to see whether the problem is with the light engine or the step down transformer in the unit (I’m not an electrician). The unit has 2 red wires connected to the light engine and a green wire to ground. How would I test the unit with a multimeter to make sure transformer is putting out power (12 to 14v)?

wv,

I assume you have to light out and up on the deck. Is that true?

If you can show us some pics. They might help others that have this same problem in the future.

Basically, you need to test the 120 volts coming into the step-down transformer and make sure you are getting 120 Volts AC. You would test between the transformer wires going into the primary side of the transformer. If you have 120 VAC, then you would need to test between the two output wires of the transformer to see if you have about 12 Volts AC.

My guess is that the light engine is bad. The life span of a color changing LED is about half a microsecond, so to get 6 years is outstanding!!

I have never seen the inside of a light itself, so the above is just generic troubleshooting. Depending on how everything is packaged, it might not be possible to actually get to the points you need to measure.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim

Thanks for the response. I have attached pic of the light open and on the deck. When I I test both red wires together I get 0 volts. When I go from either to ground (green wire) I get 16-17v. Kind of confusing results to me. Power is getting there, so I assume it is the transformer which is bad, which means I need to get a whole new unit. I planned on replacing the light engine with one from Florida Sunseeker, but before doing so I just need to confirm the voltage. Must have between 12-14v, so 0v and 17v responses are not encouraging.

Attachments

• B1F170D9-4FF4-418D-92D1-F5B03EA6E421.jpeg
    B1F170D9-4FF4-418D-92D1-F5B03EA6E421.jpeg
    591 KB · Views: 14
Additionally, the step down transformer is behind the light engine and fully covered in epoxy. The only things coming out from it are the 3 wires (2 to the light engine, one to ground). It is impossible to get to the transformer for further testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.