Feb 23, 2021
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved from here.. Pentair landscape light install

Hi, I'm new to TFP and searched the forums for some guidance to being able to control LV lights via the ET system. We have some LV lights installed on the pool columns, but they aren't connected to the ET panel. I think the issue during our install was that there wasn't an available relay for the LV column lights. We were using the ET4 white remote (buttons for spa, cleaner, air blower and lights), but I installed the Screenlogic wireless connection kit yesterday to enable iPhone/iPad control. I did figure out that the electrician connected the spa light as AUX Extra and it can be turned on separately from the interior pool flood lights. I've attached pics of the transformer and ET panel as currently wired.
  1. Can I use any of the AUX relays or do I need to add a new relay? e.g., could I free up AUX Extra by having the spa light turn on with the interior pool lights and use AUX Extra for the LV column lights?
  2. I've read posts about connecting the transformer to the ET, but based on the install I have, it isn't clear if I can just run a control wire(s) or if I also need to run the power through the ET panel.
Thanks for any guidance. Much appreciated.File_005.jpegFile_006.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
could I free up AUX Extra by having the spa light turn on with the interior pool lights and use AUX Extra for the LV column lights?

L,

Using the same Aux relay for both the spa light and pool light is the best bet..

You can't add another relay because 5 is the max you can have which includes the already added Aux Ex relay.

You never route the low voltage wiring through the high voltage relays.. You route 120 volt through the EasyTouch relay and that voltage then goes to power the Landscape Light system.

Why in the world does your EasyTouch not have circuit breakers.. The way it is currently wired is ok, but just makes not sense. That is way the load center is there to begin with..

How do you currently turn on the landscape lights?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim for the reply. Much appreciated. You know...as I got to looking at these pics, I'm wondering if he already connected the lights to the EasyTouch (maybe the AUX 4 button)? The transformer power is plugged into the GFCI below the EasyTouch panel, but I'm not sure what wires run up into the panel. The pool circuit breaker is in our main breaker box in the garage. I was using a Wifi plug to turn them on up to this point. I put it in the transformer and was able to turn them on that way. But given the distance to our router, it wasn't reliable so I took it out. I can also turn them on by using the switch inside the transformer.

L,

In theory the relays should be like this starting from the left side..

Pump/Filter relay, Aux 1, Aux 2, Aux 3, AuxEx

An ET4 does not have an Aux4, 5, 6, or 7..

The wires running into the landscape light box look pretty big, so I would have to "assume" that inside the box is a relay that turns the lights on and off.. What info can you provide on the landscape lights system.. brand, model etc..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, yes that makes sense. Looks like Pump/Filter, Cleaner, Air Blower and Lights. AuxEx would be the spa light. We have 4 Kichler 6-LED fixtures mounted on the pool columns: Kichler 15736AZT30 Outdoor LED 12V 1.4 watt Textured Architectural Bronze Landscape 12V LED Hardscape (kichlerlightinglights.com) . The transformer box is also a Kichler...I think 300W. We went higher than needed, as we thought we might use it some day to install more landscape lights around the pool in the beds.

Link to the transformer model: Kichler Lighting - 15PR300SS - Pro Series - Low Voltage 300W Transformer (kichlerlightingexperts.com)

Thx,
Chris

Last edited:
Chris,

Maybe I missed it, but I was unable to find any info on how your transformer box works.. :(

Somewhere is a switch that must turn the lights on and off.. You need to use an Aux relay to do the same function.. It should be pretty easy to do, but I don't know enough about your landscape lighting set up to give any suggestions as to what to wire to what... :(

What is plugged into the GFIC Outlet right bellow the EasyTouch??? What does the switch next to the outlet do??

Jim R.

Hi Jim, I added some comments to the picture that hopefully make it more clear. The low voltage transformer box is plugged into that GFCI outlet. The switch next to it is a master switch to turn off power to the pool equipment.
pic comments.png

Chris,

Then it is pretty simple..

Looks like you have plenty of cable.. The basic idea is for the EasyTouch to just interrupt the hot lead going from the plug on the GFCI outlet to your Landscape transformer.

The reason I suggest this is because I am not sure where you would get GFCI power from inside your EasyTouch as you have no load center.

You first need to combine your pool light and spa light by... Obviously, when doing the following all the power to the EasyTouch and GFCI outlet needs to be off..

1. Remove the purple jumper wire between the Aux 3 and AuxEx relays...
2. Move the remaining purple wire from AuxEx, pin 1 over to Aux 3, pin 1.. (This is the input power to the pool and spa lights..)
3. Move the Orange wire from AuxEx, pin 2 over to Aux 3 pin 2.. You should now have a purple and orange wire on Aux 3, pin 2

4. Unplug the 120 cable from the GFCI outlet.. Cut the cable so that you have enough cable to run from the AuxEx relay and still be able to plug into the GFCI outlet and still have the remaining cable long enough to run from the AuxEx relay and back to the Landscape transformer. Connect the hot lead of the cable from the GFCI outlet to AuxEx, pin 1 and the hot lead going to the Landscape transformer to AuxEx, pin 2. Connect the two neutral wires together with a wire nut and connect the ground wires together with a wire nut.

5. Turn the switch on the transformer box on and leave it on..
6. If the landscape lights are controlled by a timer you need to set it for 24/7 or maybe just unplug it..
7. When you turn on AuxEx, the relay closes and it will provide power to the Landscape transformer and the landscape lights should light just like flipping the switch. You can manually turn them on or schedule them..

If this does not make sense, then please bring your electrician back in..

This does lead me to a question... I "assume" your pool light and spa light are powered by 120 volts AC.. If so, where is the GFCI breaker for the lights??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim for this response. Makes complete sense and I appreciate you outlining each step. I discussed this with a couple buddies today that have done some electrical work and they got to the same conclusion/recommendation. Re: your question on the pool/spa lights being on 120V AC and GFCI, the only thing I can think of is that its wired through the switch/GFCI combo? Does this post describe that scenario? Can a GFCI outlet be connected to a light switch? (findanyanswer.com)

I might open up that junction box and see if that's the case. Will let you know.

Sincerely appreciate your help!

Chris,

You don't need to open anything.. Just turn on the pool light and then press the GFCI test button. The GFCI will open and the pool light should go out. If it does, then you are good. Just reset the GFCI and you are done.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This was how mine was set up and almost failed for no GFCI. The inspector and I were both looking for the GFI for the pool lights and could not find it. He paused and said let me try something and he clicked off the GFI from the convenience outlet. Sure enough, the lights were routed through that GFI which is entirely up to code and all was well. I also added 2 more courtesy outlets around the pool one of which I plug in my low-voltage transformer. A couple years ago I did the same thing you are doing. I used an unused AUX port to allow my automation to turn on/off the courtesy outlet that I plugged the transformer into. Now I have it set up on the automations dusk to dawn timer so the landscape lights come on every night. It is a great feature to have!

Reactions: LLTX1
Mystery solved. Pool lights and Spa light run off the GFCI outlet below the EasyTouch panel. Tested as Jim suggested above and also tested with a multimeter. I didn't realize this until testing it, but the Spa light (AuxEx) can be turned on/off using the Solar button. Thx for the help and input. Very useful!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.