Pentair: Issues with Intellitouch automation, valve actuators, heater, thermistor sensors....

orthopod

Gold Supporter
Jan 12, 2008
Braselton, Ga
I have the High efficiency ETi 400 heater go out after 1 year, pentair ultimately replaced the unit (they were good about this!)....No issues since, but they said mine was one of the earlier units. I have had to replace they thermistor sensor in the heater 3 times now in 2.5 years. They sell them like hotcakes on Amazoon, its a common feature that goes out in the Pentair heaters!

Ive had 2 actuators go out in 2.5 years. Our pool builder says he's got no support from pentair (My builder mostly installs Jandy, but I requested Pentair because my last 3 pool builds were pentair.

Now my main panel on my intellitouch is Whacked out. Losing coms from pumps randomly over the last 3 weeks, now its totally shot.

Edited: took off my rant about Pentair!

OK so thanks to Jimrahbe and others, I tracked this down to a loose wire on the COM antenna. Likely happened when I swithed out the actuator 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
O,

So what was your question? We have no pull with Pentair, so not sure what your goal is.. :scratch:

You had three pools with Pentair products and loved them... Now you have a Jandy pool guy and can't figure out why he is telling you that Pentair is the problem.

Keep in mind your pool builder will do anything to bad mouth Pentair as long as he is a "Jandy Guy"..

Could be all Pentair's problem, but we have a lot of members with the new IntelliCenter that seem pretty darn happy.

Do me a favor... As a test, go put your IntelliCenter into the Service mode, wait about a minute, and then look at the pump's display and tell me if it is blank, shows RPM or something similar, or shows "Display not Active".

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim-

So I went outside tonight. Places in serve mode, pump was saying RPM 0 watts running schedule.

There was an orange
Light in the run/stop button. I pressed this, turned off light, then pressed again.

Turned system back to pool mode, and all working again!

This happened about 3 weeks ago. And after placing it into service mode for a while, and turning back on everything wielded.

Storage thing is when pumps are
Out, so is lighting, and all accessories (blower, etc).

Yes, it’s annoying. Pool builder was using Pentair when we built the pool, which I like a lot, but doesn’t use it at all (all Jandy now).

Was just frustrated with the while
Dang thing, had no time to troubleshoot, and got no help from builder.

I’m pretty handy, already replaced actuators, replaced PCB in old Pentair panel, etc.

Will update if panel does it again

O,

I had you go into the Service mode to see if your IntelliFlo pump was wired correctly, and it appears to be. Often the installer will power the IntelliFlo from the load side of the pump filter relay, which is incorrect, as the IntelliFlo needs constant AC power. Since your pump's display was on, when in the Service mode, this means that your pump is wired correctly. :goodjob:

Storage thing is when pumps are
Out, so is lighting, and all accessories (blower, etc).

I assume you mean "Strange thing..." If so, show me several pics of the inside of the IntelliCenter showing your circuit breakers and relays.

Please tell me more about what equipment you have, and what all quits when things go south. What do you do to get things running again?

Also.. Check out this thread.. IntelliCenter 1.064 Firmware and New Mobile App IntelliCenter2

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok. Stopped
Working again. Seems to have lost communication to the pumps.

So when I reset
The panel, all the lights seem normal, but if I push any of the buttons while
In auto mode nothing works.

If I put it in service mode, and push the pool pump button, the actuator
Turns appropriately but the
Pump doesn’t turn on.

Same with spa actuator (on same
Pump as pool). Same with separate waterfall pump.

If I press aux buttons 3-8 it tuens
On the appropriate feature (blower, lights, cabana lights, etc). But if I try and turn them on using the Pentair app none of those relays work.
So a couple things going on: app not Communicating, and pumps all not responding to the panel.

In service mode the 0 rpm showing on pumps so wired correctly.

Equipment:
System i9 + 3 intellitouch panel
2 Pentair VSF pumps (1 running pool/spa with actuators, 1 running waterfall and bubblers).
IC60 chlorinator
ETI400 heater

ScreenLogic 2 mobile interface

There is nothing I can do to get it up and running normally. Don’t know what happened last night, but it’s been doing this off and on for about 3 weeks

Attachments

• 76245CC9-6F26-4BD1-8415-2EF949E06B9D.jpeg
    76245CC9-6F26-4BD1-8415-2EF949E06B9D.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 9
  • D13376E2-C8BE-4915-8424-76CE027A1246.jpeg
    D13376E2-C8BE-4915-8424-76CE027A1246.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 7A87E685-C522-479E-A929-53981D97BDA5.jpeg
    7A87E685-C522-479E-A929-53981D97BDA5.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Your system in an older IntelliTouch system and not the newer IntelliCenter.

Having IntelliCenter in the subject line and in your first post is confusing everyone. I suggest you change the subject line to IntelliTouch and edit your first post.

Maybe Tom @ogdento can join the discussion as I think he has an IntelliTouch system.

When did you build the pool?

Which Pentair app are you using?

Last edited:
O,

You had us confused with what automation you have.. Since you have the IntelliTouch, then your app is ScreenLogic..

It sounds to me like you have lost your com port.. With ScreenLogic not working, you will need to do everything at the panel.

Put the system in Auto and go look at your pump's display and tell us what they say.. The should say "Display not active". I suspect that they will not.

If the pumps do not show "Display not Active", then drop the front panel will all the buttons down. Find the two large black com wires that come from your pumps and follow them to the com port connections. Wiggle the wires at the com port and see if you can get it working again.

If not, then disconnect the ScreenLogic Antenna that is mounted to the side of your IntelliTouch. Just unplug the little 4 pin connector at the bottom. What do the pump's show now?

NOTE: When connecting or disconnecting the com port connections, you need to have the power to the automation shut off.

If not, then you will need to disconnect all the connections to the com port except the one from your main pool pump. (Keep track of where all the wires go). With just the one pump connected, tell us if the pump shows "Display not active" or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim's got the right trouble shooting steps above... since you said "it's been doing this on and off for about 3 weeks", I just want to add that it smells like a wiring or connection problem rather than a board issue, so don't go buying a new $$$$$$ board just yet.

If Jim's steps don't fix it, check the pump comm cable at the pump end - it can get corrosion in there too.

Ok you guys are on the money…..

The pumps both do display pumps not
Active.

Connection at pumps is clean, no corrosion.

I followed the wire to the com antenna, and wiggled it (wire outside not at the com port), and immediately pump kicked on.

Looks like a loose
Connection. Will look at it in a bit, remake the connections, and give you all feedback..

THANK YOU both so far!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sorry it's still giving you a headache...

1. are the pumps still showing "display not active"?
2. the antenna you mentioned... i take it that's the screenlogic wireless link (i.e. your screenlogic is not hard-wired to the panel)? remove everything from the comm port except the pumps and see if they run and/or show display not active

@Jimrahbe or @ajw22 do you know if the pump will stop running if it loses connectivity to the outdoor board?

Tom,

ScreenLogic just tells the IntelliTouch what to do. The IntelliTouch stores all the info. If the Antenna system is not working, I can't see how it would affect the run time schedule of the pump.

@orthopod

Did you turn the pumps on this morning, or are they running a schedule? If so, what is the schedule?

Did both pumps stop or just one?

When it stopped, what did the display say?

What did you do to get the pumps running again?

Besides ScreenLogic, does your system have any other controls, like a Pentair Remote or a spa side remote?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok I’ve done a lot so far….

Attached are pics. ScreenLogic will not connect. I have the wireless protocol adapter, have tried the reset button 3 times, unplugged, moved it entirely to three different locations in the house.

The wireless black laird link has a green light, but no link lit up.

I’ve looked at the panel, and all wires are pristine and in good
Shape.

I moved the PA and wireless unit to a PC, updated firmware to the newest….plugged directly into the router (not
Orbi mesh), and it Is set to DHCP by default with an IP of 192.169.1.72.

Somehow
I think the protocol adapter is bad

I haven’t taken it out and direct wired it to panel.

Attachments

• 80F67DF8-728A-40C4-82EA-358363578467.jpeg
    80F67DF8-728A-40C4-82EA-358363578467.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 7CE8BECB-2C60-489D-BE69-1892266AAFE8.jpeg
    7CE8BECB-2C60-489D-BE69-1892266AAFE8.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 8
  • C08045FA-67EA-47B3-AD25-0EAD6175DD61.jpeg
    C08045FA-67EA-47B3-AD25-0EAD6175DD61.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 87BF18B4-305C-4F6C-B6E5-1DD859ADB81A.jpeg
    87BF18B4-305C-4F6C-B6E5-1DD859ADB81A.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 3DD91D48-38FB-4E55-B5F0-F44A62488E04.jpeg
    3DD91D48-38FB-4E55-B5F0-F44A62488E04.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 016FDAD2-CB65-4639-9385-E2C788C66EC1.jpeg
    016FDAD2-CB65-4639-9385-E2C788C66EC1.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 8
  • EF55F24E-B68D-401C-B627-38D662177102.jpeg
    EF55F24E-B68D-401C-B627-38D662177102.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 9
O,

Well, I took mine out of the box, connected it up and it fired right up.

I know you have to sign into PC as the administrator.

Under "Local System" my ScreenLogic address, and IP address just pop-up.

Your wireless units look a lot different than mine. Are they the ones that came with the Protocol adapter?

Do the RX TX light ever flash?

How far is it from your IntelliTouch to your inside network? Only ask as it might make sense to hard wire a line just as a test.

Let's see of Tom has any inputs.. Calling @ogdento

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe, his wireless link is the extended range version that has higher power transceivers (pentair 520639?), but for a test you can definitely run a long wire and skip the transceivers

I'm no screenlogic guru but I thought it defaulted to 192.168.2.x? if you install an ip packet sniffer like wireshark you should be able to see the protocol adapter do an "arp request" when you plug it into the network... if it's not doing that then it could be bricked (and pentair may be able to help you reflash it), but i defer to others who know more about this than me.

The screenlogic connect app on my computer recognizes the adapter on the network. The local systems IP address is 172.168.1.72:80

I did log in as the administrator. When I fire up the screen logic configuration screen, it just sits there are refreshes, like it cannot connect. No light changes from the wireless transceivers either. The protocol adapter light stays red.

Yes these are the higher powered transceivers, we have a large house, and Pentair sent us these when the original sent with the system didn't work well.

No flashing from the Rx/TX lights. I did notice they flashed when the system worked the other day.

I can hardwire the adapter to the panel. Just need some longer wire.

Heading to Colorado to Ski tomorrow, be back in a week. Its getting warm here, and tons of pollen, so the pool looks like Crud.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Ok we are back, and I bypassed the wireless remote by hardwiring the ScreenLogic interface protocol adapter.

I can “see” the panel now on ScreenLogic connect, but still cannot turn on any pumps, lights, etc. The main pump is saying “running schedule” but is not turning on.

I can’t manually turn on any pumps with the buttons on the panel either.

So looks like the PA is able to communicate with the panel, but now what???

On the app on my phone, and in the desktop ScreenLogic connect,
It looks
Like the pool pump is on, but it’s not

Attachments

• F2DC9419-973F-40AA-A6B2-39AACC07030F.jpeg
    F2DC9419-973F-40AA-A6B2-39AACC07030F.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 5
  • A22C771F-9ADB-4062-A651-48DBC775855B.jpeg
    A22C771F-9ADB-4062-A651-48DBC775855B.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2305AC2C-54BA-4896-9724-2ED89CBE8184.jpeg
    2305AC2C-54BA-4896-9724-2ED89CBE8184.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 5
  • AFCD8465-0A7F-4026-B3D0-52EED15858A2.png
    AFCD8465-0A7F-4026-B3D0-52EED15858A2.png
    559.5 KB · Views: 5
O,

If the pump does not say "Display not Active", it means the Automation is not controlling the pump. That problem has nothing to do with ScreenLogic.

Your system is set up so the that the pump will only run between 3 PM and 7 am. That is the only schedule you have.. It is set to run at 2900 RPM.

The problem is that it does not appear that the pump is being controlled by the EasyTouch.

Here is what I would do..

Using the pump's display, go in the menu and reset the pump to the factory default.
Then, still using the pump's display, go into the menu and make sure that the pump's address is set to #1

Then make sure the RS-485 cable is connected to the pump's control head at the pump end. Then check the other end and make sure it is connected to com port on the main board.

Until the pump's display says "Display not active" the pump will never be controlled by the automation.

EDIT.. Seems like we have talked about this before???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim.

With the panel in auto mode, the pump displays “pump address 1 DISPLAy not active. This was the first thing I checked right after you posted it.

So it looks
As if the the automation is talking to the
Pump.

If I put the panel into service mode, all relays (blower, lights, etc.) work, and if I press the pool pump button, the actuator spins to either spa or
Pool, but pump wont turn on.

Attachments

• 28A93B98-4223-4A15-B213-8F5A0485FB4D.jpeg
    28A93B98-4223-4A15-B213-8F5A0485FB4D.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.