Pentair - IntelliFlo VS SVRS Problem

May 16, 2017
Bellmore
Hi All - new to the forum and about 4 years pool ownership experience.

Three seasons ago I was persuaded to purchase the Pentair IntelliFlo VS SVRS by a pool technician I no longer use because of mistakes that he previously made. I also have installed the Pentair DE FNS Plus 48 with the pump - pictures of the set-up are attached. Plumbing is 1.5" and the pump is about 20/30 feet from the pool. I have two skimmers and a main drain that does not operate properly so everything runs off the skimmers.

Since purchasing the pump I have learned that the SVRS model should have only been used for commercial pools. The SVRS constantly triggers with any pressure build-up using the filter and the pump turns off. I can turn my multi-port valve on reciprocate and run the pump non stop, but once I turn on the filter, the vacuum trigger will engage. This takes some time or depends on how dirty the filter is and how much pressure is being built up. The filter currently runs around 18-20 PSI and the pump will run with the filter for a few hours, but then shut off.

Has anyone had problems like this before? Looking for some advice as I am about to call it quits on this pump and go purchase the Superflo VS and re-plumb my manifold to match.

Thank you!

IMG_6590.jpgIMG_6588.jpgIMG_6592.jpg

Kevin,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners with pump issues...

My PB installed the SVRS version of the Intelliflo at my house, and I have had only one issue and that was when I allowed the pump basket to completely fill up with "stuff" which shut the pump down...

I would not have bought the SVRS version had I had a clue as to what I was doing when my pool was built...

I need to ask at what speed do you run your pump??? I run mine at about 1,200 RPM most of the time and my filter pressure is only 2 or 3 pounds.

Seems to me you are just aggravating the situation by running the pump too fast..

I have two regular IntelliFlo pumps at rent houses and they both have DE filters.. Both of those have 1.5" pipes and again less than 5 pounds of filter pressure.

Maybe the problem is not the pump, but how quickly your filter is getting dirty.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you for the kind welcome and response Jim, it is greatly appreciated.

I usually run the pump at either 2500 or 3000 RPM. If I run the pump at a speed lower than 1700 RPM, I am not able to heat the pool. I only heat the pool when needed though.

As for the clear the drain warning, it happens when there is nothing in either the skimmer basket or the actual pumps basket. As for the filter being cleaned, the pool has only been open for a couple of days, and it opened pretty clear, just some dirt on the floor of the pool. It does work better when the filter is totally clean, but that would be me cleaning the filter once every two weeks which is a hassle and not the point.

Thanks again!

Kevin, your installation does not appear to have the correct straight run(7.5 inches) in front of the suction inlet going to the pump. Do not know if this would cause your issue. Is there a way to reposition your pump to accommodate a straight run?

"Piping
For improved pool plumbing, it is recommended to use a larger pipe size. When installing the
inlet and outlet fittings (male adaptors), use thread sealant.
For most installations Pentair recommends installing a valve on both the pump suction and
return lines so that the pump can be isolated during routine maintenance. However, we also
recommend that a valve, elbow or tee installed in the suction line should be no closer to the
front of the pump than five (5) times the suction line diameter.
Example: A 2 inch pipe requires a 10 inch (25.4 cm) straight run in front of the suction inlet of
the pump. This will help the pump prime faster and last longer.
Note: DO NOT install 90° elbows directly into the pump inlet or outlet.
Check Valve
Suction check valves and hydrostatic valves must not be installed with this pump. Also,
IntelliFlo pumps cannot be used in series with other pumps.
When check valves are installed on the discharge side of the pump a SVRS Check Valve
Kit, part number 350250Z, must be installed
INTELLIFLO® VS+SVRS and INTELLIPRO® VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump Installation and User’s Guide"

Thank you for the response MTBill, much appreciated.

The technician from Leslies said that might be the case, but does it make sense that the pump still runs when I bypass the filter? I would think that the vacuum trigger would go off no matter what the multi-port configuration is, not just when it is on the filter. Please let me know if you think otherwise.

The tech from Leslies also said he would want replace the full manifold in order to help this issue, but once again, I do not think that is the root of the problem as once you bypass the filter, the pump runs with no problem.

The more I dig into this, the more I think the pump is too powerful for the filter, and in turn, that triggers the vacuum release.

Kevin,

What size openings do your pool eyeballs have? How many returns (eyeballs) do you have?

What is your "clean" filter pressure and at what pump speed did you take the reading?

What is the problem with the main drain?

When you add the heater, it is like adding more resistance to the flow, so this just makes it harder for the pump to push water through the system.

Moving the pump back might help, but I doubt it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Again Jim,

I have two eyeballs, I do not know the size, but they are on the smaller end. There is a good amount of air bubbles that do come out of each jet so I know there is a problem there as well, but no leaks in any of the plumbing.

The clean pressure PSI is around 16/18 at 2500/3000 RPMs.

I do not know what the problem is with the main drain, it has been like that since we moved in. When we winterize the pool, the main drain does get air pushed out of it, but when you flip the valve to the main drain, the vacuum trigger kicks in and the pump turns off.

My PB also sold and installed this pump - I didn't know any difference that SVRS function wasn't needed (I've got dual drains plumbed together) - but I've not encountered any issues like this. I run from 1200 to 2500 RPM's and occasionally up to 3450 for spillway mode, kind of all over the spectrum. I"ve seen others complain of the pump too, but I've not encountered any issues like that, it's still worked well.

Kevin,

I find it interesting that you said you had a lot of air coming out the returns and the manual for your pump says this...

"The VS+ SVRS pump can be sensitive to air in the circulation system and cause it to give a false
SVRS alarm, a blockage alarm when there is no blockage present. It is always recommended
to bleed the air off of the filter when starting the pump. Suction side air leaks in the system can
contribute to false SVRS alarms."

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the help everyone.

To let you know, I replaced the intelliflo with the superflo vs and there is no longer any air in the system and the pool looks better than ever.

I still can't give a final official diagnosis on what was causing the problem but after talking with the service techs, we think it was a combination of the pump being too strong for our pool/plumbing/pipes set-up/filter and that made the vacuum release kick in.

I went ahead and re-built the main manifold and replaced the valve and with that being done and the new pump, my main drain works now as well.

It's been quite the expensive learning experience, but thanks again for all the advice.

Now who wants to buy a used but well functioning intelliflo svrs? Commercial applications only of course. [emoji6]

Not that I need the pump, but since it is in working condition and some day mine will wear out - I'm tempted to ask how much you want for it? Or course it would have to be shipped as well - you can PM me the price if you are truly thinking of selling. Seems mine works well in my installation, for confirmation the pump is part number 011017 ?

Not that I need the pump, but since it is in working condition and some day mine will wear out - I'm tempted to ask how much you want for it? Or course it would have to be shipped as well - you can PM me the price if you are truly thinking of selling. Seems mine works well in my installation, for confirmation the pump is part number 011017 ?
Hi! I've found myself with similar issues related to the SVRS on my Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS 3 HP pump (354017). I'm considering replacing mine with a Pentair with all the same specs except for the SVRS. Apart from the SVRS tripping, it's been a fantastic pump. For whatever reason, my particular setup is prone to tripping the SVRS. In reading about this on this particular thread, I saw that you might consider buying a used SVRS as a backup. I live in the Dallas area, so perhaps we could make a deal on that if you are still interested. Thanks for your time and advice, either way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.