Pentair Intelliflo Pumps - Which Model #

RoyH

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Mar 2, 2020
Farmersville, TX
In helping a customer determine which was the best pump for him to use for his application, I ran across the following article, Pentair Pool Pump Comparrison, which really breaks down the differences between the Pentair 3HP Intelliflo pumps.

Another pool builder had recommend he use a Pentair 011057 which I had never heard of. In researching it, it has a SVRS system, which is a safety vacuum release system. Typically, I recommend the 011056 because it has all the features one needs plus it currently is the most economical out of the 011028 and the 011056. The 011057 is ~$200 more than the 011056 and has a feature that most new builds don't need.

Anyway, thought I would share for those that are curious about the different pool pumps.

I was looking for soft quotes recently and the 056s were definitely cheaper, which was odd seeing how they had the flow feature as an extra option. (Which 99% of people will never need or use, but if it’s cheaper, why not ?). Weird but if the manufacturer is pushing them then they were obviously discounted more.

Both of my builders pushed the SVRS as a needed safety device and I got to educate them that having dual main drains (plumbed together 3+ ft apart) satisfied the anti entrapment codes and the SVRS was only needed in retrofits with a single drain for code. THANKs TFP for making me *that guy* who has to educate the professionals !!!!

I will let @Jimrahbe tell you the problems having the Pentair SVRS pump creates. It is a terrible recommendation from any pool builder on a residential pool.

I can tell the struggles as well. It was originally sold to me as the greatest safety system ever and it sounded awesome. I had little ones and anything to help keep them safe was front and center. Not knowing that my dual drains with anti entrapment covers already gave me the safety (and satisfied the codes), it was a redundant and not needed extra.

Instead the SVRS tripped 6 times everytime I vacuumed and I would have to stop, go reset the pump, go back and prime the vac hose and start over. It also tripped on its own many times, seemingly for no reason.

By nature, weir doors stick at times momentarily. It could have been as simple as a gust of wind messing up the normal building up to drop the door. The skimmers would suck air for a moment and BOOM. Tripped pump. Another gust of wind 20 minutes later and it was tripped again. Other times a leaf or twig didn’t make it all the way into the skimmer on a suck cycle and they held the door closed for the next cycle. It didn’t always trip everyday or even weekly, but each time it did became more and more annoying.

If you only have a single drain/skimmer then you need it for the safety. Otherwise it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

Last edited:
Roy,

Any pool builder or technician that sells the SVRS version of the IntelliFlo should be ashamed of themselves.. I too fell for the "It is needed for safety" bull feathers spiel. It is just not.

While the standard IntelliFlo is considered by most to be the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps, the SVRS version should be sent directly to the scrap heap.

Any little surge in water pressure will cause it to go into a false entrapment mode. If you are real lucky it will start back up, but most of the time, it just starts and stops about 5 times before completely shutting down.

Just closing the air vent on the filter a little too fast will cause the problem..

I like to say that if my next door neighbor just passes gas, it will cause my pump to shut off. :mrgreen:

I've learned what to do to prevent the problem, but I should be telling the pump what to do, and not the other way around.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Any pool builder or technician that sells the SVRS version of the IntelliFlo should be ashamed of themselves..
My 2 honestly didn’t know. My regular PB quickly agreed when I pointed it out and my backup quote took offense to me telling him his business.

@JamesW taught me well so I assaulted him with articles and Wiki’s to the point that he had to fall back on the argument that the only thing that mattered was how the inspector thought about it. Unfortunately I could not argue *that* point. :ROFLMAO:

The laws and codes are not always clear and builders will often just go with the most restrictive rules just to be safe.

Trying to even find a clear explanation of what's required for each local authority is ridiculously difficult.

There's a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding.

I would not have a pump with SVRS due to how problematic they are.

If you have dual drains and proper covers, there is no benefit to SVRV on a pump.

If you have a single drain, make sure that the cover is a listed approved cover and never run the pump on 100% main drain.

Teach everyone that the drain is not something to play with.

Even though most VGB rules only apply to commercial pools, many locations have adopted some of the requirements for residential pools.

The important thing is to know and follow the local rules.

There are other SVRS systems available if they are required that will probably be less trouble than SVRS in a pump.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.