Pentair Intelliflo 3hp auto shutoff at manual mode?

johnkim2020

Aug 2, 2020
Canada
Hi,

My new pool has intelliflo 3hp pump. I’m trying to set it to manual mode and run indefinitely to filter my pool before cleaning according to pool builder.
However, the pump seems auto shut off after a day or so.

Is there some auto shut off feature? I tried to run it at max rpm in manual mode.

lastly, I have Pentair SWG. This concerns me because I heard SWG would explode if pump is off and no water flo? How to keep vSP running?

John,

All salt cells can explode if on when the pump is not running.. It does not happen very often, but it can and has happened as reported here at TFP..

You just need to set a schedule.. Make the start time 8:00 am and the stop time 7:59 am.. At least that is what my IntelliFlo's manual says. It should run without stopping..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: johnkim2020
John,

All salt cells can explode if on when the pump is not running.. It does not happen very often, but it can and has happened as reported here at TFP..

You just need to set a schedule.. Make the start time 8:00 am and the stop time 7:59 am.. At least that is what my IntelliFlo's manual says. It should run without stopping..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. Should this 24hr cycle be set as the minimum base line to prevent salt cell explosion? I know there is probably flow switch in SWG but this seems like a design flaw between SWG and VSP where VSP can be stopped independently ntly of SWG...

John,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Do you know why my pump always stops? I just did a manual start last night and this morning, the pump stopped again...

You may need to set the times in "Schedule Mode" as opposed to a manual run. Check out page 12-13 of the manual...

View attachment 343665

Regarding the SWG power issue; absent automation, the SWG controller should be connected to separate timer set to run within the pump's run schedule.
Thanks Mike for the detailed instruction.

Pentair intellicholr has flow switch. Is it sufficient to prevent damage?

This person relied on the flow switch. It did not work out well.

It's covered in the first page of the instruction manual. The SWG needs to be powered off when the pump is not running. The flow switch is a secondary safety device.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's covered in the first page of the instruction manual. The SWG needs to be powered off when the pump is not running. The flow switch is a secondary safety device.
Is there anyway to enforce this on variable speed pump? VSP has soft shutdown switch...

My pump is already wired to SWG to not supply power to SWG when pump breaker is off.

Is automation the only way to make sure this? Some current sensing hack?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.