Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST with dead display

saltydrew

Jul 2, 2021
Austin, TX
Similar threads found, but want to make sure I didn't miss an easier fix.
My pump display went dead and the breaker was tripped.
Reset the breaker and it energized the circuit. Can measure 240V across terminals (line1/2) at the timer box and at the pump (just inside as power comes in).
I tried re-tripping breaker, holding down various combos of buttons and unplugging and plugging back in the display panel. So far am not able to get the display to come on at all.
About to order a new display panel, but want to make sure I am not missing any kind of electrical reset button on the pump or something similar. If the display is not showing anything (and 240V confirmed into pump) then is it confirmed dead or something else to try?
Thanks,
Drew

Welcome to TFP Drew :)

I am not sure of anything else to check but I do have a question.. Do you have a surge protector on your pump electrical box? If not you REALLY need one as VS pumps do not like any kind of fluctuation in power..

I have one on my pump box, 1 for my whole house and 1 on my AC... I also have an indoor plugin on each and every plug in the house.. :)

Drew,

Just want to confirm what you said above is what you actually did..

You used a voltmeter and measured 240 Volts AC between L1 and L2 right at the pump... You did not measure L1 to ground and then L2 to ground and you did not use one of those non-contact light testers...

If that is true, then it sounds like your drive is toast..

Sorry,

Jim R.

Ugh - Was able to get a new panel overnighted, but just connected and did not work. No life.
Are there further circuits/boards inside of these pumps? Guess I'll start opening it up more.
@Jimrahbe - yes measure 240 between/across L1/L2 (with a multimeter) and not with L#+Gr .

Last edited:
It doesn't look like there is a way to get into the drive kit (below the panel) to further look for bad stuff.
Has anyone had luck with replacing the drive kit? Is there a way to differential diagnose between the panel and the drive kit? Maybe I just got shipped a bad panel?
The original panel worked without trouble for 5 years, so I think the rest of the set up is decent.

Drew,

The RS-485 does not "need" the LCD to run the pump, but that does not necessarily mean it gets completely by passed.. When running on RS-485, the display will say "Display not active"..

I suspect you have a Drive issue, and not just an Display issue.

Glad to see you know how to test 240 VAC... :thumleft:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Drew,

The RS-485 does not "need" the LCD to run the pump, but that does not necessarily mean it gets completely by passed.. When running on RS-485, the display will say "Display not active"..

I suspect you have a Drive issue, and not just an Display issue.

Glad to see you know how to test 240 VAC... :thumleft:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Just ordered the drive. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. Wish there was a way to manually override/start the pump while we wait for shipping. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.