Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 - inspect cell

freebsdrules

Sep 3, 2019
delaware
Hi all-

These forums are amazing, thanks in advance!

Last week I noticed the Cell light was flashing which indicates you should inspect the cell. This is my first time doing so in the 3 pool seasons we've had. I've decided to take more "ownership" in our pool's maintenance. So, I bought acid and the cleaning kit and went ahead and cleaned the cell. Put it back together and all was good for a few days I think. Noticed this weekend it was flashing again. I cleaned it again this morning (there was a little build-up still left from last time). Put it back together and everything OK for an hour or so, now it's flashing again. I checked the life of the salt cell and it looks like only about 20% is left (registered 80% used).

What else should I be looking at? Is it just time to replace the salt cell? If so, any reputable places to do so? I noticed a bit of what I assume is algae (green) in crevices around the pool (first time every) which I assume means it's not producing chlorine and I don't want it to get worse!

Thanks again!
Peter

First, add liquid chlorine now to raise your FC to target level.

Have you checked the salt level in the pool water? What volume pool do you have? Can you fill out your signature?

Cleaning the cell with acid reduces its life. Though it sounds like your cell is near or at the end of its life.

Many sites on line for replacement IC40. You just need the replacement cell. Not the power supply. MIght wait until next spring now and just use liquid chlorine to follow the SLAM Process to eliminate the algae in preparation to close the pool for winter.

The manufactured date should be on the bottome of the cell. That wont give you the hours used, but you can use it to guess if you are anywheres near the 10k hour normal life. Mine failed at 6k hours due to excessive cleaning and use of boost mode

Thanks all! Will use liquid chlorine now and likely try to wait until spring to replace the salt cell. We have used it for 3 swimming seasons but the owners before us that put it in used it for a few years prior so it's certainly lived a good life. Will check date but I imagine it's 5+ years old at this point.

Just checked manufacture date and it was 7/2010. So it's pretty old. I did a rough calculation and based on 12 hours/day for our pool season (about 4 months, although we have extended it the last 2 seasons), that does work out to 9-10-11 years.

Amazon Usually has a limited supply at half price of the pool store. Of course the day I decided to buy it they were out and back to full price but luckily some random online pool supply place still had the deal. 2 weeks later amazon had them cheap again.

A month later the glass fuse in the power center blew. I was thrilled to realize it was a $2 fix and not the whole power center. It was an odd size (8amp 250v maybe ?) and took a trip to several stores to find it. Might just want to order a couple while you’re at it just to have. It will be original also and 10 years of power surges/ thunderstorms is a lot.

Amazon Usually has a limited supply at half price of the pool store. Of course the day I decided to buy it they were out and back to full price but luckily some random online pool supply place still had the deal. 2 weeks later amazon had them cheap again.
Mind me asking what price you saw them at? I see amazon and other sites have them for $600-650. Not sure what retails is although Leslie's Pool quote just under $1,000.

So that’s probably about right. My IC60 was full list price of $1500 anywhere local and $777 on amazon no tax or shipping. Took a few days to decide to bite the bullet and of course the supply was gone and the remaining ones were $1500. They always claim ‘14 left’. Yeah yeah whatever. Well the weren’t kidding. I found some random pool place across the country who had them for $777. I wasn’t happy buying from an unknown to me place without Amazon to back it up if it went south, but at that price I figured I could still buy an 2nd one if I had to. Local places had tax so it still would have been cheaper to buy 2 for $777. 2 weeks later Amazon had them for $777 again and I’ve checked every other week for fun since then. They only didn’t have it when I needed it, which we all know is the way it goes. Yours being roughly 60% is a great deal and it will probably go lower once the slow season starts. If you aren’t in a rush just keep checking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Inyopools are showing $780 for the IC40 replacement cell.

The prices are increasing due to rare earth minerals prices. So be aware of that.

I would wait until spring to replace the cell because the warranty begins as soon as you buy the cell.

Just use liquid chlorine until you close.

Get a K-1766 salt test kit.

Increase the current salinity by 500 ppm to see if that helps.

My IC60 is going for $773 and $788 right now on amazon. (Plus a bunch of other sellers higher between $999 and $1500). So the $650 for yours on amazon might be the best you’ll find. When I bought mine I didnt know about inyopools. I’d probably spend a little more with them now for the piece of mind with a TFP trusted vendor.

I would wait until spring to replace the cell because the warranty begins as soon as you buy the cell.

Just use liquid chlorine until you close.

Get a K-1766 salt test kit.

Increase the current salinity by 500 ppm to see if that helps.

That was/is my thought too. Just tested the water and the salinity is currently at 3600 ppm. It's a little over the "ideal" 3400 as indicated by the SWG but is it within "normal"/acceptable parameters? I am planning on using liquid chlorine for the remaining 3 weeks we have the pool open. Thanks all!

At 9 years old, you have gotten a good life from the cell.

You might be able to get it working again by increasing the salinity but I don't think that I would exceed 3,900 ppm.

Thanks all, I do plan to see if I can find deals over the off season. I would be a bit worried about warranty but if it’s a good deal I’ll grab one during winter.

I don’t know all that much about pools but these things seem like the best thing since sliced bread. Happy the prior owners put it in!

[QUOTE="freebsdrules, post: 1717094, member:
I don’t know all that much about pools but these things seem like the best thing since sliced bread.
[/QUOTE]

They are even better than that. They are the best things since Betty White.

Reactions: freebsdrules
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.