Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 Fire / Burning

The house I lived in before this one was very close to the ocean. Everything would corrode: tools in the garage, phone jacks in the house, patio furniture. etc. Is Bradenton, FL like that? I think your idea to use the grease was a good one.

It's not just Pentair, this is our "everything's disposable" consumer mentality at fault.
I get that mentality to an extent when it pertains to inexpensive "consumable" components (not lights); however, in this specific case you would hope that any reputable manufacturer would want the parts back for teardown to determine root cause. The risk of a catastrophic failure here was high and if not for liability reasons alone Pentair should want to fully understand the failure mode for possible design improvement purposes. My builder didn't install any Pentair equipment, but speaking just for myself if Pentair refuses an offer to collect the parts for analysis I'd have to think hard about ever purchasing any of their products in the future.

Dave,

I ran warranty repair centers for several non-pool related manufactures for about 30 years.. "One" failure does not make any kind of trend. None of these manufactures had a full time root cause analysis team. The repair center was usually the "Canary in the coal mine". As items came back for repair or replacement we would enter the failure info into a database and then produced reports showing failure rates and failure trends. Only if a trend was indicated did the alarm go up to get engineering involved.

I suspect that when customer service enters an order for a free replacement part, all the relevant info is automatically added to their failure database.

The customer service guy is just trying to make the customer happy and shipping things back is not what most customers want to do.. My guess is that the majority of reported "failures" are either caused by the user, or not really failures at all, so it makes zero sense for everything to be returned. You would be amazed at what I have seen returned as "warranty" failures.

As far as I can tell, this is the first time this type of failure has been reported here at TFP.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Dave1096
The house I lived in before this one was very close to the ocean. Everything would corrode: tools in the garage, phone jacks in the house, patio furniture. etc. Is Bradenton, FL like that? I think your idea to use the grease was a good one.
No, I don't seem many things corrode here. We are far enough from the salt water that I don't see an effect from it. Now the sun on the other hand has prematurely destroyed things. Most notable is car tires. Most people accept it as part of living here. I try to spray the tires with a UV protectant (303).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.