Pentair intellichlor Dead

Aug 28, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
I noticed my Chlorinator led lights weren’t operating. Checked the cell and it seems to be dead. When I opened the EZ touch I noticed the black wire connector to the circuit board was burned. I obviously need to replace the wire, but is there additional problems I should look for so I don’t hook this new wire up and have the same problem?

In addition, my mobile automation is acting strange. If the filter is running (scheduled daily time), I can activate lights, waterfall feature....but if the system is off, I can’t turn anything on...including pump and/or spa. Seems strange that both issues would be independent at the same time. Could these issues be connected or is it just a bad coincidence?

Thank you all in advance.

K,

Do you have an EasyTouch with the built-in SWCG power supply?

Is your "mobile automation" you reference ScreenLogic?

What black wire is burned?

Unless the Pump/Filter relay is energized (pump running), the cell will have no power or lights.

I would think it is not a coincidence, but can't put my finger on what is wrong...

Do you have an IntelliFlo pump? If so, does the display on the pump say "Display Not Active"??

Thanks,

Jim R.

I do have an EZ touch with built in power supply. And yes, I’m refering to screen logic.

The black wire is on the power supply wire to the SWG. Pentair part #520724. There are four wires. (White/blue/black/red. Black is the burnt wire) I took pictures but I can’t figure out how to make them small enough so I can post.

My intelliflo does not have a digital display on the unit. Must be an older one. Regardless, the pump runs fine.

K,

If this were my system, I would unplug the salt cell wiring at the power supply card and then test to make sure I had 24 volts AC input to the power supply card and about 40 volts DC output.

If there was enough current to burn the wire, it had to come from somewhere. I think the cell shorted and burned the wire, but I have seen where corrosion between two connector pins has caused enough heat (due to the voltage drop) to cause the pins to almost catch fire.. It would be worth replacing the cable and momentarily turning the unit on and seeing if the cell lights work.

I would also try running your ScreenLogic with the SWCG disconnected and see if your problems go away. The cell uses the same com bus and that might be the cause of your intermittent issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.