Pentair IntelliCenter

There's no code requirement for the GFI to be in the load Center, it's more there just for convenience and most installers use that as the GFI for the pool lights.

You should have enough room to mount the Transformer inside and still keep the GFI outlet if you used a small extension for the outlet itself

bdavis, Awesome, thanks! My current set-up has the pool light transformer line side wired directly to a GFCI breaker (all within the LC). So if I have room (fingers crossed), I'll keep it wired/mounted the same way in the Intellicenter LC. Cheers!

Those interested in the PS version, I just ordered a i5PSIC40 from PolyTec , cost $2399. Paid for 2 day expedited shipping to FL as I would like to install it this weekend. They didn't have it in stock in their warehouse (they also said shipping form Pentair has been a little slow getting these in stock), but they were able to "find" it somewhere else (thinking at Pentair) and ship from there...

Sanspeur. Got a question for you.
Concerning your order of the i5PSIC40. Do you know if that also came bundled with the Wireless Client Bridge Antenna and associated Power Module? Just curious.

Do you have (or have the capability) for a cat-5e drop at your pool equipment pad? If so, my understanding from Pentair Tech Support is that you do not need to actually have or use the Wireless Client Bridge and that you can obtain an ip address from your router, by just plugging in a cat 5 connected to your router or associated switch, to the LAN Port on the IC Control System Main Circuit Board (makes sense). I have scoured the IC Install Guide, Quick Ref Guide and User's Guide and this fact is not addressed (maybe because Pentair wants to sell the WCBA).

I sure would like to confirm what I was told from an actual user before I get ready to order what I need to also make this hyper-jump to IC. (I will be ordering the IC upgrade kit only, since I have already installed the IntelliTouch Load Center ONLY (no personality kit, just the LC).

Sanspeur. Got a question for you.
Concerning your order of the i5PSIC40. Do you know if that also came bundled with the Wireless Client Bridge Antenna and associated Power Module? Just curious.

Do you have (or have the capability) for a cat-5e drop at your pool equipment pad? If so, my understanding from Pentair Tech Support is that you do not need to actually have or use the Wireless Client Bridge and that you can obtain an ip address from your router, by just plugging in a cat 5 connected to your router or associated switch, to the LAN Port on the IC Control System Main Circuit Board (makes sense). I have scoured the IC Install Guide, Quick Ref Guide and User's Guide and this fact is not addressed (maybe because Pentair wants to sell the WCBA).

I sure would like to confirm what I was told from an actual user before I get ready to order what I need to also make this hyper-jump to IC. (I will be ordering the IC upgrade kit only, since I have already installed the IntelliTouch Load Center ONLY (no personality kit, just the LC).

MyAZPool, yes my understanding (and hope lol) is that the Wireless components are included in my bundle. Unfortunately I do not have a cat-5 at my equip pad so I would not be able to test that for you. It would seem logical however that connecting a cat-5 directly from your router to the LAN port in the LC should enable the equipment to obtain an IP address.

MyAZPool, yes my understanding (and hope lol) is that the Wireless components are included in my bundle.

Concur. I just found this on the Polytec website which confirms our belief.

2018-09-20_17-42-04.jpg

It also appears that they have populated their entire IntelliCenter section. Although no photos. Descriptions, part numbers etc are listed. Progress!! :whoot:

2018-09-20_15-25-15.jpg

We just placed our order for the IC i5P (w/salt). Glad I drug my feet on the EasyTouch vs. IntelliTouch decision -- integration here was a main goal and neither really hit the mark. Sounds like a 5-10 day lead time. Our local Pentair rep will be coming out for a site visit; sounds like one of the first installs in SE Wisconsin.

Hi TonyWI....
I was just sitting here thinking about how it might be going for you with the IntelliCenter installation. Any updates, experiences or info that you can pass along? Photos?
Thanks.
r...

Ah, Pentair. They've been working on this, and promising it for how long now? Did someone say years? You'd think they would have given some thought to marketing it when it was ready... Oh, I don't know, maybe have a webpage, or maybe a few snapshots ready to go? What do I know...

Ah, Pentair. They've been working on this, and promising it for how long now? Did someone say years? You'd think they would have given some thought to marketing it when it was ready... Oh, I don't know, maybe have a webpage, or maybe a few snapshots ready to go? What do I know...

Isn't that the truth :thumleft:.. oh well, guess we just have to take the bad with the good.

Speaking of the good, I just found these.
2018-09-20_17-49-16.jpg 2018-09-20_17-50-54.jpg

Looking good.

Also, doing a thorough digest of the initial setup after the first power-up, the Setup Wizard and the Control System Test look pretty well designed and thought-out.

Thanks, MyAZPool, for posting what you find. I can't afford one just now, so my brain automatically jumps to criticize mode! I design interfaces, so while I'm grateful Pentair is making progress, I'm not blown away here. I'm seeing evidence of engineeritus! Which is what you get when you let engineers design hardware and software interfaces, instead of hiring decent UI and UX people to do it. This is why an Apple product looks and works the way it does. They use the best designers money can buy, and then make the engineers build what they come up with. The designers don't care if what they want is possible or not, they just scream louder at the engineers until they get their way, otherwise known as the Jobs-Method! If the engineers still can't get it done, then they go and steal, uh, I mean acquire tech from somebody that can.

No point is critiquing. Hopefully it'll work well, and offer some new and/or improved functionality, and that's what really matters. Sounds like you're finding some of that.

Keep the info coming! (And I'll keep beating it up, uh, I mean applauding it! ;) )

I'm seeing evidence of engineeritus! Which is what you get when you let engineers design hardware and software interfaces, instead of hiring decent UI and UX people to do it. This is why an Apple product looks and works the way it does. They use the best designers money can buy, and then make the engineers build what they come up with. The designers don't care if what they want is possible or not, they just scream louder at the engineers until they get their way, otherwise known as the Jobs-Method! If the engineers still can't get it done, then they go and steal, uh, I mean acquire tech from somebody that can.

No point is critiquing. Hopefully it'll work well, and offer some new and/or improved functionality, and that's what really matters. Sounds like you're finding some of that.

Keep the info coming! (And I'll keep beating it up, uh, I mean applauding it! ;) )

LOL... This is why some of the best aircraft to fly from a pilot's perspective are the one's that used pilots throughout the entire design and build process.

I have no doubt that once I get my hands on one of these IC's, that I will find issues that have me :brickwall: and thinking "who came up with this nightmare procedure".. I'll certainly post any issues I incur and any possible work-arounds. Thanks Dirk!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

hey hey forget about wasting time on a webpage. how about a flow sensor on a IC that works!

old pool LC.jpg Not to hijack this thread, there seems to be a little interest in the Intellicenter installation since it is new so I'm going to post my progress here. Here is where I am to day installing an Intellicenter i5PSIC40. It is my first time doing this. This is the old load center I am replacing. Note the pool light transformer is located within this load center (bottom left of LC). I am going to mount it inside the new IC.

- - - Updated - - -

Well looks lie I need to host the images as after one Ive reached my limit lol...I'll post more progress in a bit...

Here is a look with it completely removed. I also removed the SG power supply from the wall as well as another item that was not working anyway. https://i.postimg.cc/cLt2zTgD/Inellicenter_progress.jpg

Here is a pic of the Intellicenter mounted on the wall. You can see I was able to mount the Pool light transformer in the bottom right of the Intellicenter enclosure. This however removes the possibility of installing a GFCI outlet at that location. I pre-installed/pre-wired the breakers and 3 transformers to the extent I could before mounting the enclosure. With all of that in it, it was definitely a 2 person job to get it mounted (probably weighed on the order of 40 lbs). https://i.postimg.cc/J4n9NR1C/Intellicenter_progress1.jpg

Here it is with everything wired into it but the wireless and 2 valve actuators. I also need to connect the heater (at the heater but was confused on exactly where inside the heater the wiring went). I believe I have figured that out and will make the final connections/installation tomorrow. Took a few trips back and forth to the hardware store(s) to get little items such as the thru-wall pvc for the wiring that is noted coming thru the back side of the enclosure, I also re-wired the pool lights wiring into a junction box as previously both wires went directly into the LC. I have not yet powered it up but will tomorrow once the rest of the items are installed. https://i.postimg.cc/9Fns1sMR/Inltellicenter_progress2.jpg

Not to hijack this thread, there seems to be a little interest in the Intellicenter installation since it is new so I'm going to post my progress here. Here is where I am to day installing an Intellicenter i5PSIC40. It is my first time doing this. This is the old load center I am replacing. Note the pool light transformer is located within this load center (bottom left of LC). I am going to mount it inside the new IC.

IMHO, I really don't think you are "hijacking" anything. I think it's exactly what this thread is for if I'm not mistaken. :D. Share experiences, resources and opinions re: IntelliCenter.

Well looks lie I need to host the images as after one Ive reached my limit lol...I'll post more progress in a bit...
Really looking forward to it. Hey, not to sound like a salesman or anything ;-), but the ability to have a lot more server space for photos etc is a great reason to make a tax deductible donation to TFP.

Here is a look with it completely removed. I also removed the SG power supply from the wall as well as another item that was not working anyway. https://i.postimg.cc/cLt2zTgD/Inellicenter_progress.jpg

Here is a pic of the Intellicenter mounted on the wall. You can see I was able to mount the Pool light transformer in the bottom right of the Intellicenter enclosure. This however removes the possibility of installing a GFCI outlet at that location. I pre-installed/pre-wired the breakers and 3 transformers to the extent I could before mounting the enclosure. With all of that in it, it was definitely a 2 person job to get it mounted (probably weighed on the order of 40 lbs). https://i.postimg.cc/J4n9NR1C/Intellicenter_progress1.jpg

Here it is with everything wired into it but the wireless and 2 valve actuators. I also need to connect the heater (at the heater but was confused on exactly where inside the heater the wiring went). I believe I have figured that out and will make the final connections/installation tomorrow. Took a few trips back and forth to the hardware store(s) to get little items such as the thru-wall pvc for the wiring that is noted coming thru the back side of the enclosure, I also re-wired the pool lights wiring into a junction box as previously both wires went directly into the LC. I have not yet powered it up but will tomorrow once the rest of the items are installed. https://i.postimg.cc/9Fns1sMR/Inltellicenter_progress2.jpg

WOW! That a boy... GO NAVY (as I grin from ear-to-ear, that my Army Black Knights "barely" pulled one over on the midshipmen last year). Thanks very much for taking the time to post to the thread and sharing the photos.

Nice clean job and awesome that you got the 12v light transformer mounted in the new load center.:goodjob:

Okay sailor. Let's get busy and light this rocket. :salut:.

Really looking forward to learning about your experiences with the setup wizard, the self test procedures, etc. Especially with connectivity to your LAN and internet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.