Pentair Intellicenter schedules being weird

Goshdurnit

Apr 4, 2021
Palmdale, CA
Hey there- I have a 14k gallon pool with a hot tub that has a spillway, and an Intellicenter controlling it all. The valves controlling hot tub vs. pool are automated. I just had the plaster renovated, and now I'm trying to set up some schedules.
If I have a single schedule for "pool" and set it to 24/7, it works fine.
If I have multiple schedules set up (let's say pool in the morning, spa in the afternoon, pool at night) then pool in the morning might work, spa might work, but pool at night will say "running" under schedules, but the pump will not be running.

I've seen this happen a few times, where the pool schedule says "running" but the pump isn't on, and the way to fix it is to toggle enabling/disabling the circuit in the pump info screen.

Any tips/tricks to making sure my pump runs as intended, when scheduled?

An example that wasn't working:
Pool: 8:00AM to 2:57PM
Spa: 3:00PM to 5:57PM
Pool (running): 6:00PM to 7:57AM
[but pump is off]

Why do you wish to run in Spa Mode each day?

You can set the Pool to 8am to 8am.
Then schedule Spa if you wish for the time shown. It will override Pool. The higher RPM/GPM will dominate.

Or schedule Spillover. That will just turn the Return actuator to go to Spa. It will turnover the water in the Spa. 30 minutes is more than enough to achieve that.

Then no reason to run in Spa Mode, unless you are using the Spa.

Odd that when the one schedule ended, it did not revert to the ongoing schedule. My ET always does.

Also! If I don't give the pool a minute or two to stop before running spa mode, it'll run the pump dry for a minute as it switches actuators from pool to spa. Prob not great for the pump to have overlapping schedules between pool/spa.

The reason I want to run the spa a bit more is because it's new plaster, and just want to get any plaster dust up and out of there / circulating.

it'll run the pump dry for a minute as it switches actuators from pool to spa.
That is odd. Something in the valving is not correct. Post some pictures.

You can set the system to shut off the pumps when moving the valves. Might help that situation.

I would use Spillover at a higher RPM if you wish to flush the Spa water out more vigorously.

will send photos later today- what do you want photos of, the equipment pad?

and I turned this setting on in the system configuration, and it doesn't actually do what it's supposed to. "Pump Off During Valve Action" is checked. It doesn't actually turn off the pump during valve action, weirdly.
You can set the system to shut off the pumps when moving the valves. Might help that situation.

I do not have personal experience with an Intellicenter, but odd it does not function at least somewhat like the ET.

Pictures of your valving, suction, return side, etc. Enough that one can follow the flow of water.

Maybe this is part of the problem? Under valves here’s what I see, they’re “unassigned” so maybe the Intellicenter doesn’t know they’re set to pool/ spa? Not sure why there’s configurable ones listed that are different from intake / return valves though. I only have two.

Attachments

• 6206E76D-6363-40A8-AC8B-C1AE4834C7D1.png
    6206E76D-6363-40A8-AC8B-C1AE4834C7D1.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DC483310-5420-4251-BEFA-1AD8AB7D6F11.png
    DC483310-5420-4251-BEFA-1AD8AB7D6F11.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 8
Maybe this is part of the problem? Under valves here’s what I see, they’re “unassigned” so maybe the Intellicenter doesn’t know they’re set to pool/ spa? Not sure why there’s configurable ones listed that are different from intake / return valves though. I only have two.
Oh nevermind that’s just an optional valve module I have, but no valves installed yet for them. Disregard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 things
1. Check your pump firmware revision , if 3.03/3.04 , you could be losing rs485 intermittently as that's a known issue on the 011056 pump.
2. Check the suction side intellivalve - the way it is installed is likely deadheading the intake as it switches from pool to spa. I think it needs to be removed and rotated 180°

Reactions: mknauss
2 things
1. Check your pump firmware revision , if 3.03/3.04 , you could be losing rs485 intermittently as that's a known issue on the 011056 pump.
2. Check the suction side intellivalve - the way it is installed is likely deadheading the intake as it switches from pool to spa. I think it needs to be removed and rotated 180°
Thanks @Ahultin I’ll take a look at firmware in a sec!

For the intellivalve, if I switch it 180 do I then need to program it so it reverses the direction limits?

But- that still wouldn’t tell me why the pump is still on while the actuator moves, no?

that still wouldn’t tell me why the pump is still on while the actuator moves, no?
My pump runs while making the switchover and causes no issue.
if I switch it 180 do I then need to program it so it reverses the direction limits
Most likely but that's as simple as push and hold two buttons on the intellivalve.
When you pull it off, make sure inlet on the jandy valve is pointed to the pump so it cannot be blocked.

@Goshdurnit
A couple of things.
1. When installing IntelliValves, I recommend that you use this rule-of-thumb.
- For IntelliValves installed on the suction side of the pump: The tail of the IntelliValve (where the cable is located), should always be pointing towards the direction of water flow or towards the pump if you will.
- For IntelliValves installed on the return side of the pump: The head of the IntelliValve should always be pointing towards the direction of water flow or towards the water flowing into the pool.

Like this

2023-06-10_14-03-51.jpg

2. I recommend that you never "overlap" schedules. The IntelliCenter is not very Intelligent actually and if you are running multiple schedules throughout the day, you may find it less confusing to end one schedule at say 55 minutes past the hour and begin another schedule on the hour as an example. Doing so will prevent "schedule confliction".

3. If you do have a schedule confliction between Feature Circuits or Circuit Groups (macros), agree with @mknauss, the Feature Circuit with the higher pump speed or the Circuit Group that contains the higher pump speed embedded in the macro - WILL ALWAYS WIN!

4. With regards to Feature Circuits, Circuit Groups and Schedules (including valve and pump speed associations) - If you find that the IntelliCenter documentation is causing major "head-scratching", you're not alone. Reading "Pentairgalese" is a tough nut to crack. You may find the following video helpful. I've tried my best to "sort it all out". :p

r.

You can also turn on valve delay. This is actually to ensure you don't run cold water into your warm spa but it works if you have goofy valve configurations as well. You will find this setting under the general settings.

You can also turn on valve delay. This is actually to ensure you don't run cold water into your warm spa but it works if you have goofy valve configurations as well. You will find this setting under the general settings.
@rstrouse this doesn’t turn off the pump during valve action for some reason!

@MyAZPool thank you! That confirms it that my suction side IntelliValve is on 180, the return one looks correct though.

After a couple hours when my pool is done taking a nice relaxing acid bath I’ll go see if I can fix it!!

This only works with the intake and return valves. But I have not tested it to see if it is broken since the early firmwares. It should shut down the pump that has an assigned pool circuit when switching from pool to spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.