Pentair IntelliCenter Review and Information

It's funny, when I first installed my IC at the beginning of last season, there was an OTA update for 1.040 ready to go. Since then, I had only looked at the OTA update menu on my IC, and it said that there were no updates available. So I didn't even know that 1.047 was out, and I hadn't followed this thread closely either. However, I did just get an email with the following warning from Pentair:

Complete your IntelliCenter update.​

Update your pool control system firmware to version 1.047 before September 15.

Note: Failure to update your IntelliCenter firmware inhibit future system updates from reaching your system and impact overall performance enhancements.

So consider that a heads up for anyone else out there. Update via USB was pretty easy though.

Last edited:
It's funny, when I first installed my IC at the beginning of last season, there was an OTA update for 1.040 ready to go. Since then, I had only looked at the OTA update menu on my IC, and it said that there were no updates available. So I didn't even know that 1.047 was out, and I hadn't followed this thread closely either. However, I did just get an email with the following warning from Pentair:

So consider that a heads up for anyone else out there. Update via USB was pretty easy though.
@Soupy
Just to clear up any misconceptions. "OTA" is the acronym for "Over-the-Air. Currently, the IntelliCenter firmware does NOT support OTA updates although it was meant to many moons ago.
That means that anyone who wants to upgrade to the current V1.047, must download it from the Pentair Web Portal, copy to a thumb drive and upload to the panel.
However, it is rumored that this new upcoming update (V1.50x), may very well support OTA updates (finally), so I guess time will tell.
Thanks...
r.

Reactions: Kajung2k
@Soupy
Just to clear up any misconceptions. "OTA" is the acronym for "Over-the-Air. Currently, the IntelliCenter firmware does NOT support OTA updates although it was meant to many moons ago.
That means that anyone who wants to upgrade to the current V1.047, must download it from the Pentair Web Portal, copy to a thumb drive and upload to the panel.
However, it is rumored that this new upcoming update (V1.50x), may very well support OTA updates (finally), so I guess time will tell.
Thanks...
r.
Back when my IC was first installed, I updated the firmware to 1.040 via the front panel over the network, and not via USB. Perhaps they found issues with the process and disabled the capability at some point.

Reactions: MyAZPool
@MyAZPool abusing of your kindness, I am not really able to get a grasp on two concepts yet: Manual OP priority and Spa Manual Heat. Could you please explain? Everything you write about is usually so cristal clear!

Also, I saw in you Circuit Groups that you always include the body circuit (say Pool) plus a pump speed feature circuit. Am I correct in that if you have a pump assigned exclusively to each of your bodies then you will only need the speed feature circuit in the respective Circuit Group? Or am I missing something?

Many many thanks!

@MyAZPool abusing of your kindness, I am not really able to get a grasp on two concepts yet: Manual OP priority and Spa Manual Heat. Could you please explain? Everything you write about is usually so cristal clear!

Also, I saw in you Circuit Groups that you always include the body circuit (say Pool) plus a pump speed feature circuit. Am I correct in that if you have a pump assigned exclusively to each of your bodies then you will only need the speed feature circuit in the respective Circuit Group? Or am I missing something?

Many many thanks!
@mzuniga - my understanding (and @MyAZPool can probably give a more precise answer) is that whether manual OP priority is on / off determines whether a scheduled event (turning a circuit off) takes precedence over an egg timer or vice versa. For instance if you are running a schedule and turn the circuit off and back on 3 hours before the end of the scheduled event and you have an egg timer of 12 hours for this circuit then with Manual OP priority on, the circuit will remain on for 12 hours and with Manual OP priority off, it will only remain on for 3 hours.

@mzuniga - my understanding (and @MyAZPool can probably give a more precise answer) is that whether manual OP priority is on / off determines whether a scheduled event (turning a circuit off) takes precedence over an egg timer or vice versa. For instance if you are running a schedule and turn the circuit off and back on 3 hours before the end of the scheduled event and you have an egg timer of 12 hours for this circuit then with Manual OP priority on, the circuit will remain on for 12 hours and with Manual OP priority off, it will only remain on for 3 hours.
Thanks for the quick answer SA. Let's hope MyAzPool can shed additional light into this.

I tried to add a light group in the IntelliCenter App and discovered that one cannot add light groups via the App (at least I can’t). I think this is a known bug. I then added the light group (successfully) via the web interface and discovered that it works for on / off but when I try and change the colour of the light group (either in the App or via the web interface), it does nothing… all my other light groups (added a couple of years ago) work perfectly. Has anyone seen this issue? And apologies if this is the wrong thread to post this query on!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ALCON,
Regarding a new IntelliCenter firmware update, the following information has been obtained from Pentair.

They are targeting the next week or two for the next release in order to improve remote access performance and availability. However, due to approval and final testing requirements, it may take a bit longer than that.

The next firmware release after that will include several major bug fixes. That release is targeted for Q1, 2022.

You may receive an email regarding firmware releases shortly. According to Pentair, their marketing team has started to send notification emails to IntelliCenter customers.

Thanks...
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turbo1Ton
ALCON,
Regarding a new IntelliCenter firmware update, the following information has been obtained from Pentair.

They are targeting the next week or two for the next release in order to improve remote access performance and availability. However, due to approval and final testing requirements, it may take a bit longer than that.

The next firmware release after that will include several major bug fixes. That release is targeted for Q1, 2022.

You may receive an email regarding firmware releases shortly. According to Pentair, their marketing team has started to send notification emails to IntelliCenter customers.

Thanks...
r.
Thanks for the update! Disappointingly slow!

I must say that this has become less important to me as Control4 has significantly improved their integration to the IntelliCenter so I am finding myself using Control4 more than native access to control and do things (including app access).

Thanks for the update! Disappointingly slow!

I must say that this has become less important to me as Control4 has significantly improved their integration to the IntelliCenter so I am finding myself using Control4 more than native access to control and do things (including app access).
@SA Pentair User
Unfortunately, I couldn't agree more.
My use of the nodejs-poolController/dashPanel/REM suite of software/apps for complete pool and chemistry control provides me a much better platform for pool automation.
Paired with Influx/Grafana for complete visual observation as well as trend analysis and ZeroTier One for remote control, I really have no use at all for the Pentair Web Client and/or their mobile app.

In fact, if I were just now installing pool automation and knowing what is available now, I would not even consider a Pentair Automation Controller. I would opt for the DIY Standalone Nixie Pool Controller instead. She is much more responsive and at a fraction of the cost.

Frankly, I could personally care less what Pentair does or does not do with their firmware or apps since I have no use for them and I have no hope of them ever allowing RS-485 control for the IntelliValve actuators.
It would be nice however, if Pentair would provide a much higher degree of product support for those user's who just want a reliable pool automation controller and without too much tinkering.
Oh well. :p
Thanks...
r..

Last edited:
I must say, this waiting is becoming ridiculous. It would be one thing if the software had no bugs… but there are (quite literally) hundreds of bugs in IntelliCenter and many of them should be easy to fix, so I would have expected many releases (and fixes) in the last 15 months but we have seen nothing. Very frustrating!

@SA Pentair User
Unfortunately, I couldn't agree more.
My use of the nodejs-poolController/dashPanel/REM suite of software/apps for complete pool and chemistry control provides me a much better platform for pool automation.
Paired with Influx/Grafana for complete visual observation as well as trend analysis and ZeroTier One for remote control, I really have no use at all for the Pentair Web Client and/or their mobile app.

In fact, if I were just now installing pool automation and knowing what is available now, I would not even consider a Pentair Automation Controller. I would opt for the DIY Standalone Nixie Pool Controller instead. She is much more responsive and at a fraction of the cost.

Frankly, I could personally care less what Pentair does or does not do with their firmware or apps since I have no use for them and I have no hope of them ever allowing RS-485 control for the IntelliValve actuators.
It would be nice however, if Pentair would provide a much higher degree of product support for those user's who just want a reliable pool automation controller and without too much tinkering.
Oh well. :p
Thanks...
r..
So sad to hear this... My next pool will be using the Nixie you recommend! Will be at least a few months before we start digging since I need to get the house shell done first.

Chris

So sad to hear this... My next pool will be using the Nixie you recommend! Will be at least a few months before we start digging since I need to get the house shell done first.

Going with the Nixie. Welcome to the dark side Chris.

However, just remember this is a DIY project and will require some build and integration skills. Nothing overly complex but it not just a plug and play solution. I just re read the documentation and its unbelievably good. We are here to help and coach you through some of the obvious gotchas. Ron, has become the new resident expert!!!

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.