Pentair IntelliCenter Review and Information

Ok so i finally got the Intellicenter installed and the New J&J XG color light installed in the pool and spa.... i set up a light group to operate and sync the lights... but for some reason i cant seem to control the color selection when on a light group... they both work simultaneously but just slowly cycle through the colors on a light show - but if I try and change the color to a static color "RED" it blinks a few times and then continues to the light show vs just staying "RED".... what exactly am I doing wrong...

when i had them independent they can be selected to be any color or any of the shows that are options "Romance" etc

in the light group under features it shows both lights and the Group , All on, all off, etc

when i change something it says "light group sequence in progress..." and sits there like that for a long time

maybe i programmed the feature wrong... I did put each light on its own Relay

myazpool... any help would be appreciated

so far I really like the Intellicenter and the new lights a ton

Mark
Mark,
You have me stumped. Because, from what I can tell, you did everything correctly.
I would suggest you give tech support a call and tell them everything that you posted here. I would be curious to learn their answer/response.
Please keep us posted.

Technical Support
Toll Free
(800) 831-7133, * Press 1-1-1-1-1-3 for IntelliCenter

Sanford, North Carolina (8 AM to 8 PM ET)
Phone: (919) 566-8000
Fax: (919) 566-8920

Moorpark, California (5 AM to 5 PM PT)
Phone: (805) 553-5000
Fax: (805) 553-5515

r.

Ok so i finally got the Intellicenter installed and the New J&J XG color light installed in the pool and spa.... i set up a light group to operate and sync the lights... but for some reason i cant seem to control the color selection when on a light group... they both work simultaneously but just slowly cycle through the colors on a light show - but if I try and change the color to a static color "RED" it blinks a few times and then continues to the light show vs just staying "RED".... what exactly am I doing wrong...

when i had them independent they can be selected to be any color or any of the shows that are options "Romance" etc

in the light group under features it shows both lights and the Group , All on, all off, etc

when i change something it says "light group sequence in progress..." and sits there like that for a long time

maybe i programmed the feature wrong... I did put each light on its own Relay

myazpool... any help would be appreciated

so far I really like the Intellicenter and the new lights a ton

Mark
Mark,
After you change something, approximately how long does in take to process "light group sequence in progress"? After the process, does whatever change you made actually take effect correctly?
Thanks..
r.

@MyAZPool - now that we are on the topic of lights and you are speaking to the powers that be at Pentair. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem as I have on changing light colors. I have 19 or 20 lights (linked to 14 or 15 auxiliary circuits - I.e. some of the lights are 2 per circuit). This is spectacular for colour swimming etc. but when I manually change the colour (to, say, blue from white), some will change and others will not (although they show as changed on the app). The only way I can get it right is to change each light circuit individually (waiting a few seconds inbetween each change).

@MyAZPool - now that we are on the topic of lights and you are speaking to the powers that be at Pentair. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem as I have on changing light colors. I have 19 or 20 lights (linked to 14 or 15 auxiliary circuits - I.e. some of the lights are 2 per circuit). This is spectacular for colour swimming etc. but when I manually change the colour (to, say, blue from white), some will change and others will not (although they show as changed on the app). The only way I can get it right is to change each light circuit individually (waiting a few seconds inbetween each change).
SA Pentair User
Yup... I get it. It's been an issue I know (but not on such a "grand" scale as yours ;)).
The exact reason as to why, what you are describing is occurring, I am not sure. Just coding "bugs" in the firmware I guess.
We talked quite a bit about some of these IntelliBrite color changing issues.
Here is the response. "On the radar and will be addressed in upcoming firmware releases".

That is not much help I realize. But it is all I can offer up at the moment.
Take care and be safe there always...
r.

Reactions: SA Pentair User
I have same issue (on smaller scale). It's a pain when the lights get off. Takes a little bit to get things synced up again.

Ryan

I have same issue (on smaller scale). It's a pain when the lights get off. Takes a little bit to get things synced up again.

Ryan
Hang tight. Several lighting issues (to include color synchronization) should be addressed in firmware releases v1.042 through v1.047.
r.

Reactions: rmontgomery
I'm so glad I found this forum -- I've been going back and forth with my pool guy about all the issues I'm having and now can confirm I'm not the only one with issues. My #1 issue on the iOS app is one I did not see here -- not being able to login, getting 'JSON could not be serialized because of error.' That one is the most frustrating as if I turn the spa jets on with the app, 20 mins later I can't turn them off because I can't re-login due to that error. Sometimes it comes back after 10-15 mins, or sometimes it's the next day. I actually FB messaged Pentair as suggested here about the JSON software error and got this back: "Hi. We definitely hear you here. We have a new solution in the works and expect to have more info to share this summer. - Patrick C."

I'm so glad I found this forum -- I've been going back and forth with my pool guy about all the issues I'm having and now can confirm I'm not the only one with issues. My #1 issue on the iOS app is one I did not see here -- not being able to login, getting 'JSON could not be serialized because of error.' That one is the most frustrating as if I turn the spa jets on with the app, 20 mins later I can't turn them off because I can't re-login due to that error. Sometimes it comes back after 10-15 mins, or sometimes it's the next day. I actually FB messaged Pentair as suggested here about the JSON software error and got this back: "Hi. We definitely hear you here. We have a new solution in the works and expect to have more info to share this summer. - Patrick C."
GuyNfl,
I too am being told that many changes, improvements etc are like you said "in the works".. Both in the mobile apps, firmware and web client fronts. In fact, I just received a whole lot of the same yesterday.

But, as one of the first IntelliCenter users Pentair has on record (December 2018), I have heard "that song", many times before (I'm just hearing it more loudly now from higher up in the Pentair hierarchy) . In fact it is the most "played" melody in the Pentair IntelliCenter playlist.

Please accept my apologies for my cynicism and pessimism, as it relates to promises and statements made by Pentair regarding IntelliCenter fixes and improvements. And I hope that I am wrong. But
I'm just suffering now from Pentair "in the works" "LSS" or "Last Song Syndrome".
Thanks...
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spookie
All concerned...
Note that an update to the web client has dropped (version 1.048 b7, June 4 2020). However, I cannot find any changes or improvements to the front end and the ability to once again, edit existing schedules in the web client, has NOT been addressed. It's stlll doing that same goofy thing on mine anyway (existing schedules will not open when clicked on). Although, you may have better luck than I, as I am running a beta firmware version in an attempt to help troubleshoot some things for Pentair, so maybe there is a conflict between the two. Who knows. :scratch:
r.

Edit: Not long after the web client update, the web client server went down (6/8/2020) and also I could not log into the server via the iOS app (I didn't even bother trying Android). As of 11:00 EDT (6/9/2020), the servers are still down.

Last edited:
Reactions: GCyr and Spookie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All concerned...
Note that an update to the web client has dropped (version 1.048 b7, June 4 2020). However, I cannot find any changes or improvements to the front end and the ability to once again, edit existing schedules in the web client, has NOT been addressed. It's stlll doing that same goofy thing on mine anyway (existing schedules will not open when clicked on). Although, you may have better luck than I, as I am running a beta firmware version in an attempt to help troubleshoot some things for Pentair, so maybe there is a conflict between the two. Who knows. :scratch:
r.
Ron,
We just logged into the Web-Client (newest version 1.048 b7) and found the same issue with schedules...they won't open. However, the site is down more than up, so maybe they are still working on it. Not likely, since programmers should test before putting it into action.

We have been able to edit and save schedules on the iOS version since updating the panel to v1.045 though. And, the Set Points are holding after watching them for the last 4 days. The pool is finally cooling at night here in Arizona....Thank goodness!!!!

BTW, I liked what you said, in your earlier reply, that your wife can attest to your mistakes, LOL. Gary's wife (me) can attest to his also. I am usually the poster here...He does the work and I "Ghost Write" his posts.
--Peggy

Ron,
We just logged into the Web-Client (newest version 1.048 b7) and found the same issue with schedules...they won't open. However, the site is down more than up, so maybe they are still working on it. Not likely, since programmers should test before putting it into action.

We have been able to edit and save schedules on the iOS version since updating the panel to v1.045 though. And, the Set Points are holding after watching them for the last 4 days. The pool is finally cooling at night here in Arizona....Thank goodness!!!!

BTW, I liked what you said, in your earlier reply, that your wife can attest to your mistakes, LOL. Gary's wife (me) can attest to his also. I am usually the poster here...He does the work and I "Ghost Write" his posts.
--Peggy
Gary and Peggy,
I have been checking both the iOS app and the web client on and off most of the day and they do appear to be down, so that was my guess (and hope) as well.
After discovering the release of the lastest web client release this morning, I was going to shoot an email to the guy who I have been assigned to contact over at Pentair, as I try to help them with troubleshooting but then when I discovered the issue with the servers, I thought that maybe I should just wait and see what plays out before contacting them.

And I agree with you about testing. In fact they do have a test server, so go figure.

I'm glad the set points are holding since you updated to v 1.045 beta. That is really good info to share, so thanks for that.

Nice to have a ghost writer there Gary. (y) :) I would ask my wife to do the same lol, but when it comes to the kind of topics that you find here on TFP, I'm a much better technical writer than she is. However, she is a much better "mushy" writer than I. :p

Thanks again for the updates!!
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: GCyr
Gary and Peggy,
I have been checking both the iOS app and the web client on and off most of the day and they do appear to be down, so that was my guess (and hope) as well.
After discovering the release of the lastest web client release this morning, I was going to shoot an email to the guy who I have been assigned to contact over at Pentair, as I try to help them with troubleshooting but then when I discovered the issue with the servers, I thought that maybe I should just wait and see what plays out before contacting them.

And I agree with you about testing. In fact they do have a test server, so go figure.

I'm glad the set points are holding since you updated to v 1.045 beta. That is really good info to share, so thanks for that.

Nice to have a ghost writer there Gary. (y) :) I would ask my wife to do the same lol, but when it comes to the kind of topics that you find here on TFP, I'm a much better technical writer than she is. However, she is a much better "mushy" writer than I. :p

Thanks again for the updates!!
r.
I was a software tester and technical writer for several years, so Gary likes to hand it off to me sometimes. However, it was medical software...NOT THIS 😬! It's been a new, and difficult learning curve. Very frustrating when software is dropped without thorough testing.....been there, dealt with that!!!
And, it appears that their user manual was written by programmers for other programmers, not the average user. Even our installer couldn't understand it!! Maybe they should have considered their "audience" a little more.

Reactions: MyAZPool
I was a software tester and technical writer for several years, so Gary likes to hand it off to me sometimes. However, it was medical software...NOT THIS 😬! It's been a new, and difficult learning curve. Very frustrating when software is dropped without thorough testing.....been there, dealt with that!!!
And, it appears that their user manual was written by programmers for other programmers, not the average user. Even our installer couldn't understand it!! Maybe they should have considered their "audience" a little more.
Peggy,
Uh Oh... You've just just pushed one of my "buttons". Pentair Installation and User's Guides. :mad:...

I have had to use and essentially "live by" - Technical Manuals/Technical Orders, nearly my entire adult life. I depended on them for just about everything at work, successful performance and my safety.

I have NEVER seen such a poor attempt at technical writing, as what I find with Pentair documentation. Lack of relevant information, contradictory within the same manual (or other related manuals) and just plain poorly written! I always say that you have to be fluent in "Pentairgalese", in order to interpret the information that they are attempting to convey. Sometimes, the only way to fully understand how a particular feature may work - is to experiment, "read between the lines" and query other users here on TFP.

Hmmm... A software tester? We, may need to get you involved with the "dark side" team. :p Several user's are doing some code hacking / home brew setups etc., and many have had some pretty good success with the Raspberry Pi, relays etc. Me, I'm just trying to communicate with my IntelliCenter panel using a pi (I can now connect) and eventually, I would like to help someone a lot smarter than I with developing an entirely different IntelliCenter UI. I have lot's of ideas on the drawing board (and starting some UI designs), but I cannot program using Linux (I can barely pound out some basic commands in the Linux command line editor). But I'm getting better thanks to some other really smart guys here on TFP.

Anyway, here are a couple of links that you may care to peruse if interested in this sort of thing.
Take care...
r.

Last edited:
All concerned...
r.
Edit: Not long after the web client update, the web client server went down (6/8/2020) and also I could not log into the server via the iOS app (I didn't even bother trying Android). As of 11:00 EDT (6/9/2020), the servers are still down.
So, I sent an email to the product manager a few minutes ago, regarding servers being down for approximately 24 hours now. Response: Thank you very much Ron. We are looking into this issue.
r.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GDN
Well isn't that precious? :rolleyes:
That's not exactly how I would describe it, lol... You're way too kind. ;)

This latest fiasco just further supports my position, that a local app that resides on the users desktop (such as ScreenLogic), or a local web-client (i.e. the user "hosting" the web-client), has some distinct advantages over of a web client hosted on a server, that the user has no control over and where the server is typically unreliable (as in the case of the Pentair IntelliCenter servers).

If it weren't for the fact that a user can still log in to the panel "locally", utilizing the iOS or Android apps, a user would have no control at all over their IntelliCenter, except while standing in front of the panel itself.

r.

Last edited:
Are the Pentair servers down again? I have not been able to get in to my holiday home system for the last 10 hours (or more).
Right now my web client is up but it was very slow loading the pages. My iOS app has been on the clock for 5 minutes and still no splash screen. No problems with my internet connection. It's Pentair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.