Pentair Intellicenter Light Control - Color Help

Arghh

Jun 11, 2019
Westchester, NY
Recently installed the Intellicenter and I cannot figure out how to get the lights to stop on a custom color (Hold and Recall) similar to the IntelliBrite Color Light Controller (Heck you could do old/Recall, with the light switch method ). My understanding was that the new Intellicenter would make this even easier and nicely integrated.

However I am unable to find the Hold or Recall functionality for my lights in the new Intellicenter. Needless to say being limited only to the 5 colors and the shows, is clearly not ideal, especially with how incredible the purple color looks in my pool.

I can get into the light shows, see all the gorgeous colors, but since I can no longer "Hold", I am unable to select the color I want. There HAS to be a way to do it, or Pentair is essentially telling people you now have 5 solid colors with our new system, while before you had 1000s.

I am not sure if I am missing anything? Is this functionality that wasn't implemented yet, and the only solution is to go back to the old controller? (which is exactly what I wanted to get away from!!)

Asked a friend who has the same system, and he said try it without using the IOS app. I tried the wired remote, and no luck. Then I went to the panel, it there was a cog symbol (settings) for Hold / Recall when you select the colors. I updated the wired remote firmware, and the setting Cog is now there as well. So I found out how to do it, from the panels only.

There is no Hold/Recall function on the Android and IOS apps, nor the intellicenter website controls sadly. That was what I was digging into for the past week...

Does anyone know how to do this on the IOS and Android apps?

I played around a lot with similar lighting functionality and I could not find the functionality either in the Web-Client or the iOS App.
For these particluar functions that you are referring to, you need to stand at the control panel :p . There, you will find all of the options to set-up all the various light shows/groups for IntelliBrites (or IntelliBrite compatible LED lights), MagicStream Laminars, GloBrites, etc. Home Screen>Lights.
Setting up the light groups is a pain but I found it works pretty good once you get it.
r.

Last edited:
Interestingly, when you create a Light Group, you are unable to 'Hold' a specific color for that light group. Have you had any luck with that?

E.g. I have 2 Sets of Lights, Pool and Spa.
For Pool: I can put on a light show, hit the gear icon, and hit Hold when the color I want comes up. Then use Recall later.
For Spa: I can put on a light show, hit the gear icon, and hit Hold when the color I want comes up. Then use Recall later.

For Group1: Pool and Spa lights. I can put on a light show, BUT there is no ability to Hold a color. So I am unable to have both the pool and the spa on the same custom color, unless I do them both manually and get as close to a color match as possible.

I am shocked they only give you access to 5 colors, and this is the process for lights in a brand new 'High End' automation tool. How they don't have the ability to easily see the color set and select what you want is just unreal at this point. And now I am frustrated that I cannot keep my favorite color for a light group, and that I have to go inside or to the equipment pad to get the color I want if I switch it.

Interestingly, when you create a Light Group, you are unable to 'Hold' a specific color for that light group. Have you had any luck with that?

E.g. I have 2 Sets of Lights, Pool and Spa.
For Pool: I can put on a light show, hit the gear icon, and hit Hold when the color I want comes up. Then use Recall later.
For Spa: I can put on a light show, hit the gear icon, and hit Hold when the color I want comes up. Then use Recall later.

For Group1: Pool and Spa lights. I can put on a light show, BUT there is no ability to Hold a color. So I am unable to have both the pool and the spa on the same custom color, unless I do them both manually and get as close to a color match as possible.

I am shocked they only give you access to 5 colors, and this is the process for lights in a brand new 'High End' automation tool. How they don't have the ability to easily see the color set and select what you want is just unreal at this point. And now I am frustrated that I cannot keep my favorite color for a light group, and that I have to go inside or to the equipment pad to get the color I want if I switch it.
Arghh
Sorry you are having problems with the groups holding a particular color. I don't seem to have that problem at all.
Can I ask a stupid question first? What is the make of the pool and spa lights? Are they Pentair IntelliBrites and/or GloBrites or possibly J&J ColorSplash LEDs (the only "off" brand pool/spa lights that I know that is compatible with Pentair automation lighting features)?

If your lights are Pentair or J&J, you should have access to eight (8) colors. Up to 16 groups (CIRCUIT GROUPS).

Are you using the Sync (SAm Color Swim effect) in order to synchronize your lights to the same color? 106271

If your lighting functions are not working properly according to the instructions contained on pp14-18 of the IntelliCenter Control System User's Guide, there may be a problem with the unit.
If that's the case, I would give Pentair Tech Support a call and let them walk you through some troubleshooting steps and see if they can't find where the issue might be and replace if necessary.
r.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, the issue isn't the groups 'holding' a color, rather you cannot select a Custom Color like you can for each individual light circuit. (using pentair mircobrites btw)

For a group, yes I can see the 8 colors, however similar to a single light set, I want to pick a Custom Color.

E.g. Lets say you want the Orange from the Sunset Light show. You can

A)
Step 1 - Use the lights for the Pool, Select Sunset Light Show, wait for it to get to Orange and Hit Hold
Step 2 - Use the lights for the Spa, Select Sunset Light Show, wait for it to get to Orange and Hit Hold (and pray its close enough to the pool orange)

OR

B) Create a light group for Pool and Spa lights, and be limited to the 8 colors. You cannot cycle through the Sunset Light show for a group, and "Hold" the orange color.

So the only way to get "Orange" is Option A. And the only way to set this color is through the Panels (Can't do it via IOS/Android/Web).

-A

Thank you for the reply, the issue isn't the groups 'holding' a color, rather you cannot select a Custom Color like you can for each individual light circuit. (using pentair mircobrites btw)

For a group, yes I can see the 8 colors, however similar to a single light set, I want to pick a Custom Color.

A)
Step 1 - Use the lights for the Pool, Select Sunset Light Show, wait for it to get to Orange and Hit Hold
Step 2 - Use the lights for the Spa, Select Sunset Light Show, wait for it to get to Orange and Hit Hold (and pray its close enough to the pool orange)

OR

B) Create a light group for Pool and Spa lights, and be limited to the 8 colors. You cannot cycle through the Sunset Light show for a group, and "Hold" the orange color.

So the only way to get "Orange" is Option A. And the only way to set this color is through the Panels (Can't do it via IOS/Android/Web).

-A
Arghh

Ah, Okay, I gotcha now.
Now I totally understand. Yea, I can't do that either. There is a aqua marine color in one of my light shows that really shows off my PebbleTec color just perfectly at night (IMHO anyway). But I can't get to it by just selecting one of the pre-defined automation colors. I remember now, I hated that. :mad:.....

I'm just living with one of the darker blue pre-defined colors now.

Give Pentair a call and complain. Probably won't result in much but who knows. All those calls are reviewed and analyzed and maybe it will result in a software/firmware update. Please excuse me if I seem over-optimistic :p
r.

Reactions: chemillion

A)

OR

-A
Arghh
Thanks very much for bringing this issue to the forefront. I have been able to make some advances on this issue. Please see the thread (especially post #16): Pentair - Color Hold/Recall / J&J Electronics - Color Lock/Return
Thanks and take care.
r.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What happens if you have Jandy lights? My PB promised me it would work and do light shows with intellicenter. My lights are in the pool PBs electrician is connecting it today.

Arghh
Sorry you are having problems with the groups holding a particular color. I don't seem to have that problem at all.
Can I ask a stupid question first? What is the make of the pool and spa lights? Are they Pentair IntelliBrites and/or GloBrites or possibly J&J ColorSplash LEDs (the only "off" brand pool/spa lights that I know that is compatible with Pentair automation lighting features)?

If your lights are Pentair or J&J, you should have access to eight (8) colors. Up to 16 groups (CIRCUIT GROUPS).

Are you using the Sync (SAm Color Swim effect) in order to synchronize your lights to the same color? View attachment 106271

If your lighting functions are not working properly according to the instructions contained on pp14-18 of the IntelliCenter Control System User's Guide, there may be a problem with the unit.
If that's the case, I would give Pentair Tech Support a call and let them walk you through some troubleshooting steps and see if they can't find where the issue might be and replace if necessary.
r.

What happens if you have Jandy lights? My PB promised me it would work and do light shows with intellicenter. My lights are in the pool PBs electrician is connecting it today.
I personally don't know as I have no experience with Jandy lights (what is the model of Jandy lights that your pool builder is proposing?)
See if you can provide the model as that information may very well help with answering your question.

The good thing is that if your builder is wrong, I assume that he will be obligated to replace with a light that is compatible with the IntelliCenter light functions and the installed niche?
Thanks..
r.

Reactions: newpoolbuild
I am not seeing any light color or show choices. My pool lights are white right now.

Attachments

• AC0AF220-E943-4FD8-98E4-C4AC6C221ED4.jpeg
    AC0AF220-E943-4FD8-98E4-C4AC6C221ED4.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 27
  • 70E728FF-5D13-4E61-8555-83C0CDF4E4A2.jpeg
    70E728FF-5D13-4E61-8555-83C0CDF4E4A2.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 28
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.