Pentair Intellicenter i8PS Relays Not Working

Qcp800

Jan 3, 2022
Cincinnati, OH
I am doing a self installation of a pentair intellicenter and have an issue with the 3 relays connected to the aux ports of the i8PS daughter card.
I've enabled the expansion card and the aux ports are showing on the control panel but I'm unable to get any response from the relays.
The 5 relays attached to the main board are working correctly so I assume the issue is with how I've initially configured the system.
I've followed the guide but is there a best practice on the installation/configuration that I should be using?
As a new user I've probably missed a step somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

@Qcp800
1. Have you plugged the little 2-pin connectors from the relays into the i8 daughter card?
2022-01-16_07-23-08.jpg

2. Check to insure that power from the applicable breaker(s) are connected properly to the relays.
3. Check to insure that the devices that you are attempting to control via the relays are connected to the relays properly.
i.e.
(For the examples below, terminal compression screws are numbered from left to right.)
For 120VAc devices - The 120Vac power lead from the breaker should be connected to terminal screw #1 of the relay and the power lead (black), should be connected to terminal screw #2.
For 240Vac devices - The two power leads from the 2-pole breaker should be connected to terminal screws #1 and #3. The two power leads from the device (usually red and black), should be connected to terminal screws #2 and #4.

In other words:
There are four (4) terminal compression screws on the forward bottom of the relay, each of which allows two leads to be connected.

The 1st and the 3rd (left-to-right) compression screws (LINE SIDE) are designated to be wired to the associated circuit breaker and consequently remain continuously energized (HOT), unless the applicable circuit breaker is “flipped” off manually or tripped for some reason.
The 2nd and the 4th compression terminal screws (LOAD SIDE) are designated to be wired to the line-voltage item itself (NOT applicable to IntelliFlo pumps.) The LOAD SIDE terminals are only energized when the circuit has been turned on through the automation system either manually or through a scheduled event.

The power relay is designed to control either 240 Vac or 110 Vac equipment and devices.

If the relay is used to control a 240 Vac device - The 1st and 3rd compression terminal screws (LINE SIDE) are used to connect each leg of the 240 Vac circuit to the associated circuit breaker.
The 2nd and 4th compression terminal screws (LOAD SIDE) are used to connect each leg of the 240Vac circuit to the applicable line-voltage device.

If the relay is used to control a 120 Vac device - Then the 1st compression terminal screw is used to connect the 120 Vac circuit (“black” power leg) to the applicable single-pole breaker.
The 2nd compression terminal screw is used to connect the 120 Vac circuit (“black” power leg) to the applicable line-voltage device (light, low voltage lighting transformer, etc.). The “white” neutral leg is connected to the neutral bus bar or in the case of GFCI circuit breakers, to the terminal screw located on the breaker for that purpose and the white pigtail from the breaker connects to the neutral bus bar.

For more detailed information, please refer to "IntelliCenter Daughter Card (Personality Card)" in this link: IntelliCenter Quick Reference/Information Guide
and "Power Relay (P/N 520106) Filter Pump (FLTR) / Auxiliary (Aux) Line-Voltage (power) Relay" in this link: IntelliCenter Quick Reference/Information Guide

Caution: If you are attempting to troubleshoot/make modifications to electrical connections within the IntelliCenter Load Center, please remember to de-energize your Load Center at the house main electrical panel whenever removing the Load Center "High Voltage Cover Panel (“Dead Front” panel)". Check to insure that power has been removed with the use of a working multi-meter. If you feel you do not posses the necessary skill sets/qualifications to do this type of work, please seek out a licensed pool electrician in order to prevent injury or worse.
Thanks..
r.

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed reply, your time spent is very appreciated.

As it turns out, the issue was self-generated as I had neglected to remove an existing daughter card in the the first expansion space prior to installing the i8PS card, the result being that the main card would not recognize the i8PS.

Like I mentioned earlier, a step missed on my part.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.