Pentair: I’m going to call a “Lemon Alert” on the 3HP VSF pump.

Chuckiechan

Jun 10, 2014
Roseville, CA
I had the VSP installed 6/14/19 and after a few days it started making squeaking noises. Rather than swap out the pump entirely, they changed the motor Monday 7/1. The new motor immediately failed and shut down apparently due to an intetnal short. So I have no idea what their plan is.

I’m beginning to question if Pentair has the quality control necessary to build such a pump in the quantities they appear to be selling.

I’ve written to Pentair’s customer no-service reminding them that at this time, I have no pump for the 4th of July weekend, and the pool store has a floor stack of pumps to swap out if anyone was really motivated.

If and when my problem is resolved, I will let you know.

Last edited:
Ok, sorry to hear about your troubles. The Intelliflo is usually good quality. Hopefully, nothing changed that would affect the quality of the motors. We will definitely be watching for motor issues with the Intelliflo and Superflo. Thanks for sharing your information.

Reactions: Chuckiechan
I talked to Pentair this AM, and they basically said It’s not their problem. I called the pool company’s corporate, so we shall see.
This can be a “Ramp up” problem. More sales = more assemblers = some less experienced assemblers making rookie mistakes.
Maybe I should have bought in January. ;)

Chuck,

I am puzzled by the "not their problem" comment??

Why would they say that? Either the pump is under warranty or it is not? What did they say? I feel we are only getting part of the story.

Just does not make sense..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chuck,

I am puzzled by the "not their problem" comment??

Why would they say that? Either the pump is under warranty or it is not? What did they say? I feel we are only getting part of the story.

Just does not make sense..

Thanks,

Jim R.
The pump was installed by Leslies pool, and Pentair doesn’t seem to feel any responsibility to me as end user. I explained that I would like them to call Leslies service department and get the ball rolling since they have pumps as floor stock in my area. They refused to call Leslies.
So I’m dealing with Leslies, hoping they will get it done today.

Update...
So far crickets from Leslies. Its fair to assume that all I can do is put up with it, and work on a very nasty Yelp review. Oh well, I got borates in it so an algae problem is not likely, and a submersible pump for a “Water Feature “ LOL.

From Pentair:
Chuck,
Leslies has to perform all warranty on products they sell/install - Pentair cannot place anything on products from Leslies. Warranty does not replace the entire pump unless that is needed, if the motor is just not working it needs to be replaced and installed correctly.

In order to receive a response in a timely manner, please reply directly to this email. Reference case number TS ######### (The TS prefix tells me they have a sense of humor - I obscured the reference numerals) in all correspondence.

Thank you,
Julian Janzen
Pentair Water Pool and Spa Inc

Your problem description:
Will you contact Leslies Pool in Antelope, Ca snd get them on the stick and get me running. First motor start squeaking in a week, second has some kind of short. They have complete pumps in stock, but they want to keep trying motors until they find one that works. Just get me a new pump. Its july 2, and my pool has no pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There other pool companies in your area who can install a Pentair pump?

I would tell Leslie in writing a new motor is not acceptable. Either they install a new pump, or they take this one back and refund your money, or you will see them in small claims court.

I hope you have kept good documentation since the pump was installed about your contacts with
Leslie to show a judge. If the judge is a pool owner it should be a winning hand. I don’t think Leslie wants to end up in court.

Leslie's...ugh. I had a long exchange with them when a Jacuzzi brand VS pool pump failed under warranty. I had problems with being told, "We'll call you" and months go by. To get any kind of response, what worked for me was to send an email to corporate via the online contact form outlining the dates of each event. They called within 24 hours saying they contacted the local service department blah-blah-blah. Then there was the appointment which I never made but was told existed, then being told it didn't exist after waiting all afternoon. Keep on them.

Its not time for extreme measures yet.

What do you consider extreme measures among the suggestions?

You usually have a limited time to do a CC chargeback. If it is 90 or 120 days then you should get it on record with the CC company within the window. Otherwise Leslies can drag it out past the ability to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.