Pentair IC40 with no power

Jul 25, 2017
phoenix
Hi all.. New as of today.. IC40 problem.. I have checked transformer and I am getting 59 vac at the IC40 cable, not the 39 vac I am told it should be.. Could this be a transformer that is putting out too much volts or is there a possible issue with the pc board? I get the 59 vac at the red wire .. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for looking

My IC40 no longer has lights.. I have checked cable, breaker, etc.. The transformer is putting out 59 VAC to the IC40 cable.. I am told it should be only 39 VAC but I have checked with 2 meters and both at or near 59 VAC.. Is this a problem with the transformer or do some models have this higher voltage? Do not want to pop the $500 for the unit if it is transformer or the pc board.. Anyt ideas or suggestions muchly appreciated.. Jdoug

JDoug

Doug,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners with "Dry" heat..... :drown:

The transformer provides AC voltage to the little circuit board, which changes it into DC voltage going to the cell. The voltage between the red and black wire on the connector (J7) going to the cell is about 40 volts DC...

My circuit card looks like this, yours may be slightly different but the same basic parts should be there..

dbtgallery.php

If you have 35 to 45 volts DC at the connector and no lights on the IC40, then you can kiss the cell good by... :(

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the great replies... Jim, my board is just like the pic and I can see I was reading the volts in AC when it should be DC.. My bad.. I was told is was AC and my eyes did not see the 39VDC in the pic.. 110 right now and my equipment is on the sunny side of the house, so, when the sun goes downm I will re check the voltage.. Thanks again

J,

One other thought.. You need to make sure the connection between the cable going into the bottom of your EasyTouch is solidly connected to the connector coming out of the Easytouch.. they don't mate well, so it would be possible to think they are connected when they are not.

Jim R.

Gents,

I had the same problem last week with all of my LEDs off. My setup is a bit different as I have the cell transformer integrated into the lower right side of my EasyTouch panel. My Cell control board is a bit different as well. A simple phone call to Pentair customer support helped a lot. They asked a few questions regarding the LEDs on the cell controller board, namely the cell power led which was green on my board. That was the indicator that my board was providing power to my IC40. This helped validate that my cell had failed. BTW I am on my 3rd cell now in 5 years, I wish they would last longer but good ol' Pentair seems to have a nice racket going on in the planned obsolescence department. I removed the cover from my failed IC40 and it seems that all of the electronics innards are covered up with potting compound ... probably done to seal the electronics better but also prevents it from being repaired <sigh>. I ended up ordering my replacement IC40 online ... do your research as I have seen these IC40s selling for upwards of 800.00! Feel free to PM me regarding where I eventually ended up purchasing my IC40.

Cheers and Good Luck to you,

Same issue but can’t get anyone from Pentair to answer the phone. Looks like my transformer is bad though. 230 in nothing out. Is there an alternative to ordering a replacement transformer from Pentair. Not real high on supporting a business that won’t answer their phone AND none of their dealers on the website can help me. They act like they didn’t even know they were a dealer.

tb,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pool questions.... :shark:

Well, it could be the transformer, but they do not go bad very often... Did you get 220 across the input side of the transformer, or did you measure 120 on each leg one at a time? Did you try to test continuity on the secondary side?

Did you take a lightening strike? Does your EasyTouch work other wise?

But, if you are sure the transformer is dead, you can try this link...

Amazon.com: Pentair 520722 Intellichlor Transformer Replacement Pool and Spa Automatic Control Systems: Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tb,

If one side of the 220 is missing and you test each side of the transformer to ground you will still get 115 volts on each side because of the transformer windings.. You need to measure across the two transformer primary wires and makes sure you have 220 there...

Not sure where that fuse would be as I do not have one in my system. :confused: I would test the output of the transformer between the two secondary wires with at least one of them removed from the power supply board so that you know for sure it is not loading down the output of the transformer.. You should get "about" 30 volts AC.

Thanks,

Jim R.

tb,

What do you get if you measure for AC voltage between the white and yellow wires... with everything wired just as in your picture.. Measure between the two wire nuts, not between the wire nuts and ground...???

I did not realize you had an external power supply... Can you get me a picture of the writing on the circuit card???

Jim R.

tb,

Ok, as you already know, the input voltage looks good. I was just making sure.

The external power supply you have has a known issue with the fuse holder.. The fuse can be good but the fuse holder does not make good contact inside.

If the fuse holder has good continuity, and you still don't get 28 VAC out of the transformer, then your initial diagnosis of a bad transformer seems to be correct.

Not unheard of but somewhat unusual..

Thanks for the PCB pic, very helpful for me...

Jim R.

So just to verify, if I measure across the two red wires from the transformer (one from board-one from fuse) I should get 28vac approximately? Fuse holder does have continuity

a10c4bf8b24856e1d5ad5d1678852ab1.jpg

tb,

You want to measure what is coming out of the transformer itself... So you would need to measure between the red wire going into the top of the fuse holder and the red wire that you unplugged from P1 on the board. This takes the fuse holder and board out of the picture and you are just measuring the output of the transformer.

I don't like the two connectors being black... I'd be worried that they are not making good contact... It could be normal for your external power supply as I have never seen one before.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.