Pentair IC40 - Shows inaccurate Salt Level

NYAVGUY

Jul 14, 2014
New York
I have an IC40 connected to an Easytouch with Screenlogic2. I saw the Low Salt light was on Friday. I checked the interface and Salt was showing at 2650. I did my own test with the Taylor kit from TFTestkits and got a salt level of 3600. I know the salt sensor is supposed to be +/- 500ppm, but this was a bit more than that. For now I added one bag of salt bringing it up to 2900 on the IC40 and 3800 with the Taylor Test kit, which removed the low salt warning. The salt indicator was working well for the past month with my salt level a bit high at 3800-4000 before we got a lot of rain in the past two weeks.

Does the salt cell need to be cleaned?

I am weary of doing this as last time I cleaned it the flow sensor stopped working...

TIA for any suggestions

There is a known issue of the thermistor in the flow switch assembly of the IC SWCG's failing and causing low salt errors.
If the cell is under warranty, contact Pentair.
If not, you can replace the flow switch assembly pretty easily.
There also is a modification that uses a separate thermistor device to report the temperature to the IC unit. We have an explanation on that if you are interested.

Thanks for the replies. The IC40 is from 2016 and is run seasonally from May to September. I replaced the flow switch last year after I cleaned the cell for the first time and it went bad (no flow). The Flow switch in there right now only has 3-months of usage on it. I will open a case with Pentair to see if they will replace it again.

Alternatively is it possible to parallel wire the temp sensor from the Easytouch to the IC40 as well, or would I need to drill in a new one?

I don't have permission to view this thread?

There was no visible scale when I installed the SWG in the end of May and I keep my pool perfectly balanced:
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 5.0 (4 days ago)
CC: 0.5 (4 days ago)
pH: 7.5 (4 days ago)
TA: 70 (4 days ago)
CH: 275 (4 days ago)
CYA: 70 (4 days ago)
SALT: 3600 (4 days ago)
TEMPERATURE: 78° (4 days ago)
CSI: -0.52 (4 days ago)

TIA

Pressing and holding the “More” button launches the System Status Mode. When the lights finish scrolling, the percent lights indicate hours of usage in 1,000s. For example, if the 40% light lights, that indicates 4,000 hours.

Version 3.1 on adds the ability to determine system temperature. Pressing the “More” button after the display shows 1,000s of hours of usage, will show temperature as follows:
Lights……………………Temperature
No LEDs……………………Below 30F
40%...........................36 to 45F
40% and 60%............46 to 55F
60%...........................56 to 65F
60% and 80%.............66 to 75F
80%.............................76 to 85F
80 and 100%..................86 to 95F
100%.............................96 to 99F
100% blinking…………….over 99F
All LEDs blinking…………..Sensor bad

I tried the system status mode and if I did it correctly the temperature is reading 96-99F, when water temp is 83 on the Easytouch sensor...

The odd part is that no lights lit up for 1,000 of hours of usage. My rough calculation based on seasonal usage for the past 3.5 years it should be around 4,000 hours of usage....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.